Lock out of my 06...HELP!!!!

RDay

Does anyone know if there is anyway to clear an 06 that has the password set? I don't care about the program I just need to be able to connect to it. It seems my 06 has somehow had the password set. I loaded a program to it, made some changes, and went offline. Now when I try to connect to it I get the prompt for password. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Rob

RDay,

AD passwords are in digits only (0-9). If you tend to use the Enter Key on the numeric keypad it may be possable that you accidently hit the "3" key by accident..

If you dont recall setting a password before, my suggestion would be to try all the single digits (one at a time).

Bad news is..You cannot reset or clear the password. You must send the PLC back to AD and they will clear the password for you and your program will be gone as a result.

Mike

Mike,

I will give it a try. I know I didn't set a password so it almost has to be something like that. I dont mind losing the program just the use of the PLC while it is gone. It would be nice if AD would provide a way for US to wipe a PLC clean (erasing password and program). I cant be the only one this has ever happened to. Oh well another one for the wish list.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

I would like to have that "Program Erase" feature on the Automation Direct PLCs also. In the meantime, what I try to do is to have a spare PLC processor module on hand. Those AD's are so cheap that this is no big inconvenience, and it really saves time to have a module on the shelf that you can just pop in, if you lose a password, or if one simply quits working. It is very rare for an AD to fail, but I cannot say that it never happens. Usually they fail because of some external problem, like dirt contamination, or circuit overload.

Lancie1 said:
I would like to have that "Program Erase" feature on the Automation Direct PLCs also.

That's not going to happen, as the purpose of the password protection is three-fold. To protect the intellectual property rights of the OEM, to protect the plc program from unauthorized changes AND to protect the program from erasure.

Mike..

Mike,

THe SLC500 has had the ability to delete the program from PLC memory for years. Why do you think that Automation Direct will not add that feature also? Perhaps they will want to be less competitive? We are not talking about adding the ability to steal someone's program here, merely what you do when the program needs to be deleted, for a variety of reasons: malfunction, loss of password, changing a PLC from one use to another, whatever. I have had PLCs that have my OWN password set that I could not remember...not as young as I once was...embarassing to have to tell the customer that I can't get into the PLC because I can't remember the password...and if I write it down somewhere, might as well not ever set it up in the first place.

Last edited:
PASSWPRD DEBATE..

Lanice,

Preferences vary widly, and all with good reasons, so it's a diffucult one to debate. Just be carefull when using an AD product..

As I suffer greatly from CRS, personally I document my projects passwords on the inside of the office file folder for the project. I also keep an Excel file on our network with the passwords, (that file is protected also). I just wish I had done that with my ATM pin number.. :(

Anyway, It's hard to have your cake and eat it too. I personally like the way AD has it setup, authough I wish there was a seperate "editing/deleting", and "viewing" password. Since that's not the case I prefer to protect the program from being accidently, or even maliciously deleted. From what I understand AD will reset the PLC at no charge, so it's not like you totally loose the PLC. Your idea of keeping a CPU on the shelf is a good one though..

I guess I must give in and send it back to AD.

It is still a mystery to me how it happened because it's not that easy to set the password. I spent several hours trying various combinations of any passwords I have used in the past with no luck.

That's not going to happen, as the purpose of the password protection is three-fold. To protect the intellectual property rights of the OEM, to protect the plc program from unauthorized changes AND to protect the program from erasure.

Mike,
I can understand and totally agree with this to a certain point. But I would still like a utility that wipes the PLC completely clean. It would still be impossible to bootleg someone’s code as it would be gone. And if someone thought they knew enough to rewrite my program they could just as easily buy a new PLC and use that.

AD's PLCs and other products are very economically priced so a spare is not out of the question. But it sure would be nice to get this one up and running agian in just a few minutes . Oh well It is just a dream I guess.

Last edited: