allen bradley kinetix

Again, not knowing much about the Kinetix unit;
An increase in resistance (on the output) will increase the load demand which the unit should respond with an increase in supplied current which will increase the voltage demand.
An example I currently have is via a PowerFlex 4m drive. I'm using it in a display for AF2018 and it's running a fan. The fan I was going to use apparently has a problem and it's measured resistance is high (compared to spec). The drive tried to start it but faults with an over voltage error. My understand of that error is that the current demand on the output is higher than the drive can supply.

To be fair I am guessing on your situation but it makes sense to me that if resetting connections has fixed similar issues before than resistance on the connections is the likely culprit. Besides, cleaning them can't hurt.

This is one of the first things I plan to check. I am still young at this and learning new things, but, honestly, I don't think I ever thought of this before, that extra high resistance in the connectors or motor could actually push a overvoltage fault. That is intriguing and something I will save in my bag for future reference! Thanks.

If this is a new problem i would check a few things in no particular order.

1.) Has the program changed? The DC Bus Overvoltage occurs when you're trying to stop an axis. If deceleration rates have increased then the load is trying to stop quicker which can raise the DC bus.

2.) Is this happening each cycle? If so check hardware - that the braking resistor is not open circuit (blown fuse). This would result in nowhere to put the energy created when the motor is generating (decelerating) - as a result the DC bus voltage goes beyond allowable limits

3.) Setting up a trend in logix/studio with axis.DCBusVoltage, axis.CommandPosition, axis.ActualPosition, axis.CommandVelocity, axis.ActualVelocity will give you a better idea of where in the cycle/how often and what is happening.

4.) Check for dirty power to drive, the DC bus is created from the line side of the drive (rectified, smoothed) if there are large spikes on the line side of the drive you can see this reflected on the DC bus. Causes for this can be other VFDs connected without line reactors on their input side.

I agree with the others that the most likely culprit is with the shunt components.

But, because you said that this has been a problem in the past and that a line reactor seemed to resolve the issue for a while, I have a couple of suggestions that might help.

1. Is there a large motor in the area being stopped and/or started? Particularly if the motor is being run on a Y/Delta starter or a reduced voltage starter.
2. Check and confirm that all of the wiring and grounding adhere to AB's guidelines. https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/drives-in001_-en-p.pdf

I've had both of these things cause problems with VFD's and sevros. Sometimes even though the equipment had run fine for years. Something changed in the system that pushed things over the edge, so to speak.

Picture doesn’t upload. There is jumpers across the big green connector on the top of the shunt module.

So a few more details. I was there yesterday to look at this servo drive.

This machine is at a local Amish facility and is off the grid. They have a large generator supplying this machine, 2 saws, and an air compressor. This machine is an automated setup to assemble the wooden frames for bed box springs. This specific servo motor simply runs a chain conveyor to make the parts to the next position in the sequence. So it is not high momemtum, but it does go fast and it starts and stops 14 times per minute.

The customer says that is always trips out when it is trying to stop and then it coast too far and does not stop at the correct place. It makes not difference what other saws etc are running. But it does not always trip. It can run several hours with faulting out sometimes.

I personally was surprised, from what I have learned and from what you have told me, that there was no break resistor tied in. In the large green connector on the top of the shunt module, terminal 1 was empty, and terminal 2 and 3 had a jumper between them.
From the research I have done, it does not seem like a brake resistor is required?? That this shunt module is able to do some get rid of some of the voltage itself? Is it possible this shunt module is failing? None of the fault LEDs on the shunt module were lit up. The BUS led was lit up green.

I have not been successful in finding test procedures online.

Can someone explain the function of this AB shunt module 2094-BSP2 with or without brake resistor?

Thanks. That is helpful. So can any one tell me any troubleshooting tips for this 2094 shunt module to see if it is still working properly? Can't find anything online.