compactlogix l23e communication problem

victorrunPLC

I am newcomer here, I bought a AB compactlogix l23e embedded i/o plc(used one) a few days ago. I made a stupid decision i think that I downgrade the firmware of the plc to make it compatible with the vision of the software when I first time try to communicate with the processor. right now the problem is that I can see the flashing light on the ethernet port but I can not get any information from the rslinx. what should I do to recover the ethernet port function.
any help will be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum community !

It's likely that your CompactLogix has reverted to BOOTP/DHCP mode and you can use the BOOTP/DHCP Utility (look under the Rockwell Software start menu) to assign it an IP address.

If that doesn't work, connecting with a null-modem serial cable (1756-CP3 or equivalent) and using the DF1 driver to "browse" to the controller to set its IP address with RSLinx is the usual method.

I can see the flashing light on the ethernet port

Which LED, exactly, is flashing ? And what color ?

If you have set up the IP address and still can't "see" the controller in your RSLinx browse, try the older "Ethernet Devices" driver and not the EtherNet/IP driver; the modern one depends on broadcast packet discovery and wont' work with many VPN or multi-network setups.

As always, use the usual tools to prove network connectivity: PING, then HTTP with a browser, then TCPING to Port 44818. If all of those work and RSLinx doesn't, then you can start troubleshooting RSLinx itself.

Last edited:
Hi ken, so excited I fixed the communication problem just by following the way that You mentioned, using the rslinx to get to the module configuation and change the ip address from there and ping it, it is working now. thanks again.