Small PLC

If you like your RSLogix 500, you can keep your RSlogix 500:

1763-L16DWD

Yes, when you add the required analog I/O it will cost a lot more, and if you are going to produce multiple machines with this control system, a cheaper hardware base may make more sense.

Even though I am a big AB user I would avoid the Micro 850 like the plague! I have done several jobs with them and they are noting but trouble. The hardware is junk and the software crashes on a regular basis. On two of the units I put in the Ethernet ports just die, no power surge or anything.

Go with the smallest lunchbox Compact Logix first.

Even though I am a big AB user I would avoid the Micro 850 like the plague! I have done several jobs with them and they are noting but trouble. The hardware is junk and the software crashes on a regular basis. On two of the units I put in the Ethernet ports just die, no power surge or anything.

Go with the smallest lunchbox Compact Logix first.

I've got 100's of Micro820 out in the oilfields "Very Harsh Environment", been out for about 4 year's without a single fail or program crash.

Just wanted to make sure you have both sides of the coin!

1766-L32BXBA is a good option It runs on 24vdc has the required analog for around $300-400. I like it for the comms, Ethernet-isolated RS232/485 combination & non-isolated RS232

You could try a PLC & HMI from Triangle Research International. I do not have experience with them but they are affordable and meet all of your requirements. 12VDC power, ethernet, 8 analog in, 2 analog out and 8 in/out digital for the FMD88-10 PLC You can couple a simple LCD display or a full touch screen color display to the unit. Check it out at http://www.triplc.com/superplc.htm

That is a very basic system indeed.

All you require is a Beckhoff CX9020 with the basic I/O slices that you listed. The programming software (TwinCAT XAE) is free and the runtime (TwinCAT XAR) is a free 7-day trial. Actually, you can renew the 7-day trial for an unlimited number of times, so you can say that the runtime is free too.

With this platform and TwinCAT, you'll be able to program and simulate right from the jump. Just download the TwinCAT3 XAE and install on your development laptop and you can be coding and running the code without the need for hardware. You can buy the hardware later. Also, you'll be able to program in any IEC 61131 language that you want (Structured Text, Ladder, Function Block Diagram, Instruction List). That's all free and comes with TwinCAT.

For price reasons alone, this is the setup I would go with. But for performance comparisons, this setup probably will beat most out there in the same performance class.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sorry for taking so ling to respond. Its been a pretty busy week for me.

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations. The research on them will keep me busy for a bit.

As for the question about voltage. 24 volts is fine, Just need the IO , as well as the processor to be able to run on 24 vdc.

I've got 100's of Micro820 out in the oilfields "Very Harsh Environment", been out for about 4 year's without a single fail or program crash.

Just wanted to make sure you have both sides of the coin!

I Agree. I had the same for oil field in west Texas. Now I am in Georgia. 820 is great for cheap projects. The panel view 800 is also pretty cheap and easy to build as an HMI compared to the panelview plus. CCW software is free, ya can configure the plc, logic, hmi, and even powerflex drives from it.

Idec FC6A range. I the UK the 40 I/O model is listed at £299 so I guess the US won't be much different in dollars.