Knowledge Base System

The Plc Kid

Anyone ever implemented a knowledge base system in their facility or for a customer?

We have a lot of good info in our work order system but the format is not so user friendly for use as a knowledge base to solve problems.

There are a lot of knowledgebase systems on the market jsut curios if anyone has a favorite. Looking for something as a help repository to help maintenance techs with troubleshooting problems.

The company I used to work for had log books ( hand written) at each station ( natural gas pipeline) and for major compressor station/ storage field equipment. Some would go back 25+ years. Very ,very useful.

We have a shift report database that the technicians fill out every shift. With the database you can do a word search which is helpful. The software that we use is microsoft access.

You can always create an internal forum site using something like PHPBB. It is open source and has many of the features of a knowledge base, but definitely not all.
Along with that, you will need a web server, but you can download all ready made web server appliances from VMware and just start a new virtual machine on an existing server.

Anyone ever implemented a knowledge base system in their facility or for a customer?
Very interesting question. I was looking around lately for the same thing. the "perfect" thing to solve it all... ;)
Currently, we use proprietary software as a log book. we can look back into history, but line/machine based. or daily/shift based. not really searching. and no common knowledge system.
On the side of this question, is anybody using issue/tag tracking software?
My ideal software would be a combination of issue tracking with a knowledge-base system.
I see sorts of knowledge base systems like a wiki, it might work...

So, following up the topic starter... is anyone using any system?
I'm really interested in experiences.