OT: VideoJet 1520 Trigger Pinout...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I figure someone here might be using VideoJet printers. I'm interfacing to the 'Print Trigger 1' and 'Print Trigger 2 (Reverse Print)' inputs. Connectors #2 and #6 in the attached drawing.

My customer sent me the manual for the printer, but the 'pinouts' section only tells me what connector does what (the same as the sticker on the side of the printer). I need to know the pinout of the actual 3 pin connectors. Since they normally connect to photoelectric sensors, I'm guessing just +V, -V, and signal, but I don't know if it's looking for sinking or sourcing, and which pin is which... :confused:

I don't have access to the printer until Monday, but was hoping to wire up my interface this weekend, so I don't have to solder the connectors on site. I already have the correct Amphenol connectors.

🍻

-Eric

VideoJet1520.jpg

Thanks, Paul. I don't know if the newer VideoJets have different connectors. It has Amphenol C091 circular DIN connectors like pictured below. I'd rather solder them at my desk this weekend, where I can do a proper job, rather than at the customer's place on Monday.

I don't know why they couldn't have just included the pinouts in the manual... :rolleyes:

🍻

-Eric

C091 31H003 100 2.jpg

Eric, we have 4 Videojet units. I'm not quite sure which models off the top of my head, but looking at a pic of the 1520 it looks very like ours. I've had to make up extension leads for the sensors on the 3pin sockets before. I would have some info in work on it I'm sure but I'm not back in until Monday evening. I live close to my workplace. If you want I can call in and check for you? You posted this about 20mins before I left work last night. If I had seen it you'd be sorted by now :(

Let me know ASAP.

G.

Ok Eric, I realised with the time difference you'd be snoring while I'm waiting for your reply, so I called into work here now.

We used to have 1510s, but upgraded to 1610 Videojets in 2011. They have a little more on them than the 1520 you'll be working with, but they appear to be the same for the trigger 1 & 2 connectors(#2 & #6) you need. I have the full service manual on cd with all the pinouts, so I've spliced this pic together for you. You can compare the connector layout to yours. It's slightly different on the 1610, but #2 & #6 are positioned the same. I'll bring the service manual PDF home with me on a flash drive in case I've missed something.

Good morning!

G.

1610 PrintTrigger1+2 Pinouts.jpg

Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for... (y)

Now the next question. Do you know if the sensor is PNP or NPN? IOW, to turn on the trigger input, does pin 2 need to be pulled high (pin 1), or low (pin 3)?

On this customer's old 37E printers, it was a strange setup. With the sensor unplugged, the input turned ON. I had to add a pull-down resistor to pull the trigger input low, and then my trigger contact pulled it high. I am triggering the printer via an optocoupler.

I'll probably just solder a 3-wire cable on these connectors, so I can connect it as needed when I get to the customer. You info will allow me to at least wire it up with the correct color wires.

Thanks so much for the help!... :site:

🍻

-Eric

The input is configurable to sinking or sourcing on the board. I don't recall what the jumper location is ... I might have the service manual on PDF if I get to a PC . We usually hook them up on a dry contact so I check the sensor input wire and if it has 15 V I h.ook up the 0V, if not I use the 15V on the common

Eric, Sorry I was out and about for a while.

Eric Nelson said:
Now the next question. Do you know if the sensor is PNP or NPN? IOW, to turn on the trigger input, does pin 2 need to be pulled high (pin 1), or low (pin 3)?

As you know, print trigger 1 is an input for a product detector sensor to fire the print head during normal printing(forward). The polarity is optional. You can set it for PNP or NPN. The default is NPN. You change 2 jumpers on a PCB to swap it.

Print trigger 2 is the reverse print input. We don't use this, but according to the manual, its a bi-directional input providing an NPN and PNP connection. A change in state reverses the print direction. It provides "+15VDC"(pin1) for switching back to "Sensor Output"(pin2). There is no mention of a polarity selection option for trigger 2. I assume this means the switching device, your opto, can drive "Sensor Output"(pin2) active high or active low. As there normally is no plug in the connector port, I would assume pin2 is normally low. you drive it high by switching the +15VDC with your opto, it senses the change in state and enables reverse printing.

I've attached a word doc with everything that relates to both triggers in the manual all pulled together to speed things up for you.

I'm also mailing you the full Service Manual to the address you gave me in PM.

Eric, I'm going out for the night to see a band so I won't be around again until the morning, late morning!🍺

Good luck (y)

G.