Studio5k v.21.03 compatible with windows 10?

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All, I am trying to open a project that was created in Studio5k, v.21.03 and am having no luck. I have a demo version of the software compliments of AB. Is it possible v.21.03 is not compatible with Windows 10 OS? Will it require Windows 7? Thank you

Version 21 is the odd one where the minor version of the software maters, and you cannot install two different minor versions on the same machine. Its highly advisable to flash up to a higher version so that this becomes a non-issue.

Version 21 is the odd one where the minor version of the software maters, and you cannot install two different minor versions on the same machine. Its highly advisable to flash up to a higher version so that this becomes a non-issue.

I asked why this new machine has such an early version running and they told me it has something to do with security? We have 3 identical machines and the OEM is able to access them. The other two are older machines. I am thinking they are referring to FactoryTalk Security but I don't know. They are not very forthcoming with information, it took months to get a copy of the project running in this machine. The other machines are running v.20. Would anyone know what they are talking about by security being the reason they cant convert this to a higher version? Thank you

Rockwell made changes between the minor versions of V20 and 21 that had to do with security that made the minor versions incompatible. They later released a updated version of V20 to fix the incompatibility issues since older processors can't be flashed higher than V20. They did not do this for v21 however, as their recommended fix was to flash to V23 or higher.

Okay, my local AB rep showed me how to do this with windows 10. All I had to do was go to the version of logix designer I had issue with, inside the Bin file was the logix designer executable, I right-click on it and run as administrator then navigate to the file I wanted to open and it opened right up. After doing it the one time, it now opens all the time without having to run as administrator. Hope this helps someone else.