Control Wires NEMA Naming Rules

MIG

Hello, are there any standards for control wires naming rules? I have to set them up in my project (see pic). What is usually prefix and suffix in wire naming? Thank you!

Wire rules .JPG

A popular convention is combine the page number, line number, & sequence on that line. Example: 034055-, where 034 is page 34, 055 is line # 055, and 4 is the 4th wire on line 055

|—————] [—————-] [—————-] [——————
034055-1 034055-2 034055-3 034055-4

This is just one example, others are terminal strip #-terminal #, TS4-15.

Last edited:
NO real Nema rules... Everyone has their own way.
I use 1000 for inputs and 2000 for outputs.
Then either line #or actual input number.

If you plc uses straight address assigned to plc (ie... I001 is input 1 on plc)
Then I would use 1001 as first input. The when you see wire number, you know it is input if it is in 1000 range and because it is 1001 it is first input.
Nice thing is wire number also tells you where to go in logic, because 1001 is I001 in logic.

To answer the first part of the question, I don't know of any standard that defines wire number convention. The method dogleg43 demonstrated is one of several ways you could go. But there is no specific standard I know of. Just be consistent with what you do and, for the love of all that is good and right, number ALL of the wires.

Keith

Our company literally names the wires whatever they are. So the wire for input 12 on card 2 would literally say: I:2/12. Usually use 200 for 24V, 202 for common, 1 for 120V, 2 for neutral, etc.

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately this software ( Automation Studio) does not work properly with page# and not only this. we are very disappointed with this software.

Once had a customer pay use to re draw a print set with page number prefix because their techs couldn’t read them without it. That said, I have seen many a print set with that layout. Especially in machine tools where not much will change. You can over come the burden by leaving blank expansion pages in between motors, and I/O.

It's very handy seeing a wire number or component designation and immediately opening the prints to the correct page without having to dig around. Guys on the floor prefer it. (Coming from someone who doesn't spend as much time on the floor as he used to).

That being said if every revision you make requires page # changes I'd suggest doing things a little differently..

Page number? Yikes. What an unstable anchor and ball and change for revision. No way!

You make a valid point and that is the beauty of standards. There are so many to follow. 😀

Coming from a system integrator’s perspective, that’s why we would work with our customers up front to follow their spec’s to nail things down before starting the design.

In over 35 years I am not aware of any of them ever making a complete revision where the page numbers were changed.

Looking at it from a floor electrician’s perspective, it makes it very easy to find the wire on the prints for troubleshooting.