Siemens WinCC Web Client, path forward?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey,
We are using the latest and greatest version of WinCC WebServer and Client.

WinCC WebNavigator V7.4 + SP1 + Upd13

To the best of my knowledge, the webclient only works with Internet Explorer. Our IT folks are barking at us about using "Outdated" applications.

Does anyone have any idea if Siemens is ever going to migrate to/support other browsers?

I have tried searching the Siemens website, but I always struggle over there.

Edit:
I tried launching in Chrome and MS Edge, got the same message in both: "Your client OS or your Client Web-Browser are not supported"

Last edited:
it may or may not work further down the line, but I am pretty sure chrome (and firefox) browser clients can tell the Siemens web browser that they are IE.

Siemens has been in bed with MicroSoft for many years. The WebServer/Client was originally an Active-X application, it has been updated over the years, but still requires IE for some reason. I have been told Safari works, but have not seen that in person.

That (ActiveX) is what I meant by "may not work further down the line."

Rockwell is the same i.e. ActiveX-dependent web content. IIRC, I was able to make IE, and maybe even Firefox, work on windows with a MicroLogix 1100 web server.

Even if I used IE on a modern system (Win10 or updated Win7), there was still some security override option I needed to tweak in the IE settings to be able to view the MLX1100 web data.

Hey,
We are using the latest and greatest version of WinCC WebServer and Client.

WinCC WebNavigator V7.4 + SP1 + Upd13

To the best of my knowledge, the webclient only works with Internet Explorer. Our IT folks are barking at us about using "Outdated" applications.

Does anyone have any idea if Siemens is ever going to migrate to/support other browsers?

I have tried searching the Siemens website, but I always struggle over there.

Edit:
I tried launching in Chrome and MS Edge, got the same message in both: "Your client OS or your Client Web-Browser are not supported"

As far as I know, WebNavigator is based on ActiveX, which was never supported outside of IE for very good reasons.

WebUX is the "new" version (been available for a while now), which translates the screens to HTML5 without mucking about with ActiveX. Supports basically any modern browser, but the downside is that it doesn't support quite as much of the screen functionality. There's a chart in the manuals that discusses what is/isn't supported (each new version adds a few new features). I think there's an extra engineering step where you have to specifically enable WebUX for each screen, but I haven't really done much with it past a demo.