On Going with Studio 5000

RBergmann

I feel I've been monopolizing the site with my questions on software and hardware. Everyone has been very helpful.

I am using Studio 5000 and seem to have issues viewing some structured text in an original program that I'm attempting to reuse in a new project. I understand that some versions of RSLogix 5000 (Studio 5000) do not have a structured text add-in.

Is this true?

RA made the software modular, so some Editions of RSLogix 5000 don't support all the languages and features.

You can buy the ST editor separately to add to the Standard edition, for example, without upgrading to the Full or Professional edition.

There's a pretty good matrix here: [RSLogix 5000 Editions]

Any controller that supports v21 should also support v20. Check the available firmware kits for your specific model of controller on the RA Support Website [link].

Changing the firwmware revision won't change the Edition of RSLogix 5000 licensed on your computer, of course. If you didn't have ST support in Studio 5000 v21, you won't have it in RSLogix 5000 v20.

But it sounds like you have a desktop PC with a different, more-featured Edition of RSLogix 5000 v20.

Any controller that supports v21 should also support v20. Check the available firmware kits for your specific model of controller on the RA Support Website [link].

Changing the firwmware revision won't change the Edition of RSLogix 5000 licensed on your computer, of course. If you didn't have ST support in Studio 5000 v21, you won't have it in RSLogix 5000 v20.

But it sounds like you have a desktop PC with a different, more-featured Edition of RSLogix 5000 v20.
This is correct. Most of the programs here have been developed using the desktop computer. In this case a new laptop was purchased, loaded and activated with Studio 5000 v21. The PLC firmware was upgraded to v21 and that's when I discovered the problem. So you're telling me that even with the firmware download of v21, I should be able to program with software v 20?

You still need the same Major Revision on both the PC and the PLC.

If you're going to use the laptop to service controllers that have ST programs in them, you should eventually buy the ST editor as an add-on.

For now, you will have to either :

1. Use RSLogix 5000 v20 on your desktop and load v20 firmware in the controller.

2. Install Studio 5000 v21 on your desktop so that it has the ST editor license.

If the desktop doesn't have Windows 7 Professional, you can't install Studio 5000, so you're back to option 1.

You still need the same Major Revision on both the PC and the PLC.

If you're going to use the laptop to service controllers that have ST programs in them, you should eventually buy the ST editor as an add-on.

For now, you will have to either :

1. Use RSLogix 5000 v20 on your desktop and load v20 firmware in the controller.

2. Install Studio 5000 v21 on your desktop so that it has the ST editor license.

If the desktop doesn't have Windows 7 Professional, you can't install Studio 5000, so you're back to option 1.
So I could "roll back" the firmware to v20f?

Yes, assuming you still have v20 copy of the program. If you've already converted the PLC program offline to v21 it get's progressively harder to rollback. Not impossible, but not straighforward.

Any time you open an existing controller application with a newer version of RSLogix 5000, the software makes a copy of the existing *.ACD file and saves it with a suffix that shows the version number.

An example (from memory)

Open Sandpounder.ACD (written in v15) with RSLogix 5000 v20.
RSLogix 5000 v20 creates and saves "Sandpounder_v15.ACD".
RSLogix 5000 converts the program to v20
RSLogix 5000 saves the program as "Sandpounder.ACD" in v20 format.

I see from your other posts that you're using a 1769-L16ER controller. I know for certain that they support both v20 and v21 firmware, and you can load either one at any time.

Any time you open an existing controller application with a newer version of RSLogix 5000, the software makes a copy of the existing *.ACD file and saves it with a suffix that shows the version number.

An example (from memory)

Open Sandpounder.ACD (written in v15) with RSLogix 5000 v20.
RSLogix 5000 v20 creates and saves "Sandpounder_v15.ACD".
RSLogix 5000 converts the program to v20
RSLogix 5000 saves the program as "Sandpounder.ACD" in v20 format.

I see from your other posts that you're using a 1769-L16ER controller. I know for certain that they support both v20 and v21 firmware, and you can load either one at any time.
Hopefull my last question ...

Before I hired on here, and while my company had no programmer, one of our vendors was assisting with the programming and asked for my company to provide the ST editor for his copy of Studio 5000. We did with the proviso that the activation be released upon request.

Well, short story long, I just found this out (using all of this sites help) after getting the PLC straightened out. I requested the activation release and he tells me he did. Now there's apparently no disc involved (the ST editor is supposed to be activated from Studio 5000). I have all the paperwork but cannot find the option to activate the editor. I am running Studio 5000 mini.

Last edited: