Studio 5000 Firmware

RBergmann

Should be a simple question, and I've searched this site and came close to an answer but I guess I'm too dense.

I have a brand new Studio 5000 and a Tech Support contract, so downloading stuff shouldn't be too big a deal.

Most of our programs have been created with RSLogix 5000 V20. My version of Studio 5000 is V21. Where do I find the earlier version on the Rockwell support site and what's the best install method? I don't find the site's navigation as intuitive as I'd like. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure the older versions should be on the Studio 5000 disk.

If you run setup again it should ask if you want to install firmware support for older versions.

I've been told that when you buy Studio 5000 new, you get a DVD with just version 21.

In the past, there was enough room on a DVD for multiple releases, but no longer. So you download the older versions you need.

"AB.COM" is basically a catalog website. You need to start at the RA Support Center:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/

From there it's a "Quick Link" in the column on the left to "Download Firmware and Software Updates", and then "Firmware Updates", then "Controllers", then "ControlLogix"

Seems you are right Ken, just checked out Studio5000 on my RA Toolkit and it only has V21 in the firmware installation files.

The RS5K V20 installation files however has all firmwares going back to V12 so this latest version should be all you need to download.

I've been told that when you buy Studio 5000 new, you get a DVD with just version 21.

In the past, there was enough room on a DVD for multiple releases, but no longer. So you download the older versions you need.

"AB.COM" is basically a catalog website. You need to start at the RA Support Center:

From there it's a "Quick Link" in the column on the left to "Download Firmware and Software Updates", and then "Firmware Updates", then "Controllers", then "ControlLogix"
Thanks, Ken ...

Muy helpful.

No luck ...

I've tried (3) different browsers. Nothing shows downloads until using IE (v11) and nothing will download. I'm not sure if the file is actually for the hardware firmware or for Studio 5000 firmware version. I've never been so frustrated.

I don't think it's your browser causing the problem ...

I was able to get to the screen shot below – after entering my password and serial number – using IE-8 ...

this link might help – but you will need your own account information ...

https://download.rockwellautomation...d=944eda96856c8336bad31b750a5cc910&context=vb

before you get too frustrated and hit something with a hammer, give me a call and I'll try to step you through the menus ...

download_studio_5000.jpg

I have just had to do this.

When I purchased Studio 5000 I received, through e-mail, a link to download Studio 5000.

When I go to this link there is a drop down menu which allows me to download all RSLogix 5000 versions back to V10.

Cheers

Mark

I was able to get to the screen shot below – after entering my password and serial number – using IE-8 ...

this link might help – but you will need your own account information ...

https://download.rockwellautomation...d=944eda96856c8336bad31b750a5cc910&context=vb

before you get too frustrated and hit something with a hammer, give me a call and I'll try to step you through the menus ...

Thanks, Ron ...

Looks like this may be the solution. A caveat ... Rockwell doesn't appear to like IE-11, so I'm using the latest version of Firefox. Tried latest Chrome and was almost there, but Mozilla managed to get me where I needed to be (just as I was getting ready to abandon FF as my default browser).

Downloading V20.01.00 as I'm writing this. Will I still be able to run V21.xx after completion? I recently added support for ST, FBD and SFB to my software. Will I still be okay? Rockwell's software solution for development is quite convoluted and confusing compared to other manufacturers. I've spent most of my AB writing time developing code for RSLogix 500 supported hardware. This is a challenge for sure.

Well ...

Download completed, installed Firmware revisions to 20.01 and still not seeing in Studio 5000 when I try and open a previous project. I've rebooted as well as smacked the PC upside its head. Is there some kind of activation procedure also required? I expect when I open a new project, I should have the option of selecting the major revision of the software (20.xx or 21.xx).

Sure, just letting you know that V20.03 is the latest, or was of a couple of weeks ago..

V21, or studio is a step into new firmware. Like the old L30 etc, which stopped @ V13, the L32E etc stops @ V20. The newer processors support V21 +

All depends on your processor...

Last edited: