Correct way for adding rungs using RS Logix 500

AB2005

Dear Friends

I want to understand the correct way for adding a rung in between a ladder program in RS Logix 500 as when I insert a rung, the Rung Title or Rung Comments leave their original rung and jump to the next rung. Please help me as I am creating ladder logic for our machine during these days and I have to Add or Subtract the rungs in between programmed rungs.

When you insert a rung comment, you can attach the comment to an address, or a rung, see pic.

cheers

rslogix_rungs.jpg

Rung title

If you double-click the Rung title you can check if the rung text/description follows the rung or the output. Maybe this is your problem.

I want to know which is the better File/Rung or Output/Address. I want to add a title or comment with rung and whenever i insert a rung in between programmed rungs, the original title or comments of rung would not leave their rungs. I have tried to "Insert Rung" but faced same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes, you want the output/address option. What it is asking is what you want to attach the documentation to.

If you attach the rung documentation to the output, then as you insert or delete rungs, the documentation will follow with the output of that rung.

If you attach the rung documentation to the rung itself, as you insert or delete rungs, the documentation stays with the rung -- and becomes meaningless because it is now not describing the right rung.

IMO, the file/rung option is really, really stupid and should be removed by RS... but they haven't asked my opinion about it lately...

AB2005 said:
I want to add a title or comment with rung and whenever i insert a rung in between programmed rungs, the original title or comments of rung would not leave their rungs. I have tried to "Insert Rung" but faced same problem
This is not normal. It should not do like that, regardles of if "Attach to File/Rung" or "Attach to Output address" is selected.

In my RSLogix500, the rung comments gets pushed when a new rung is inserted before a rung. And that is with "Attach to File/Rung" selected.
That is: The comments follows the code which is the expected behaviour.

Which version of RSLogix500 do you use ?
Lately my RS software has begun to act more and more strange. As if the installation is messed up. But I dont have exactly that problem.

Sidenote: I never use the "Attach to Output address". It really irritates if you use (L) and (U) code in separate rungs. You cannot describe why you Latch and why you unlatch because the comment is the same for both rungs.
Same for math code, the output address triggers the same rung comment in several rungs.
Stoopihd idea AB !

I am working with RS Logix 500 Version 4.00

If I attach title or comment with Output and the output is latched or unlatched in diffrent locations of program, the same title or comment also appears with the output. So this is not usefull for me.

AB2005 said:
I am working with RS Logix 500 Version 4.00

If I attach title or comment with Output and the output is latched or unlatched in diffrent locations of program, the same title or comment also appears with the output. So this is not usefull for me.
I think you are mixing up rung comments with I/O comments/descriptions.
To add a description to an I/O internal bit etc point you'll have to right click on the operand and use "Edit Description" for that particular operand.

bkottaras said:
I think you are mixing up rung comments with I/O comments/descriptions.
To add a description to an I/O internal bit etc point you'll have to right click on the operand and use "Edit Description" for that particular operand.

No, he's right. That's how rung comments behave when attached to the OTL and OTU rungs. That, too, is stupid...

In the early days of RSLogix, there was some experimentation about how to go about this, before Rockwell settled on the current methods.

The OP may be using one of those early versions which did not correctly move comments assigned to a File:Rung when rungs are inserted.

Personally, I think their options are just fine, but it would probably be better if they included the instruction type and output address in the second choice.

Then you could assign a rung comment to OTU B3/90 which was unique to a rung comment for OTL B3/90.

IMO, the best workaround is to use "comment placeholder bits" and asign your rung comments to them as output address.

commentplaceholder.jpg

Yeah, it's a waste of bits and instructions, but weighed against the importance of commenting, is better than what choices RSLogix gives you at the present.

AB2005 said:
I want to know which is the better File/Rung or Output/Address. I want to add a title or comment with rung and whenever i insert a rung in between programmed rungs, the original title or comments of rung would not leave their rungs. I have tried to "Insert Rung" but faced same problem.

Thanks in advance.
I still think that he is trying to add rung descriptions for each individual rung but has the setting to "attach comment to output".
According to his above post.
I'm not arguing with you guys about how comments behave when attached to outputs and such.
Then again, just assuming here.

It appears that 7.30.10 (CPR 10) still duplicates the rung comments on both otu and otl.

capture.jpg

But, it does also appear that they have fixed it so that even with the comment attached to the rung it follows with insert/delete.

Last edited: