analog tank level

No! PLC knowledge is good but forever knowledge is better.

Tharon said:
You still have to integrate everything before that using the equation you derive using the triangles for your area.

It still is all boiling down to integration.
No, some trig and algebra is all that is required.
I am giving someone else a chance to show off. Someone, anyone? Put on your thinking cap and put a strain on the brain. Hopefully someone new other than the regular know-it-alls.
js.jim is waiting for an answer.

Isn't this a 'Non-Linear Equation' represented as follows;

V = πh2 (3r-h)

where V = Volume, r = Radius of Tank, h = Height of Liquid.

Isn't this a 'Non-Linear Equation' represented as follows;

V = πh2 (3r-h)

where V = Tank Volume, r = Radius of Tank, h = Height of Liquid.

ratio of increase

if i am not mistaken
the tank is 12 ft high and around 30 ft long
it seems that the ratio of increase of change should be the same until half full
then the ratio of decrease should be the same on the top half
since i am going to know the volume by putting product in the tank by 100 barrels and getting the analog signal reading i should be able to get the ratio of change to do the math

RIGHT?????????????????
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP
to make it hard the tank sits slightly out of level but i dont think enough to hurt to much so it drains out all the way

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

Solving the Math Calc is an easier question to answer than what we would do without the Internet. Surfing is a lot quicker than digging out old college notes and books, brings back bad memories.

We are dealing with several tanks with various shapes. This is the way we do: fill the tank! Record the level and volume. Then make a table with certain number of rows depending on the precision requirement. All the rest of work are 5th grader math. :)

Peter Nachtwey said:
I thought the pie slice and subtracting the isosceles triangle was obvious.

I would have had to open my closet and dig out my college books. I never sold a single one back to the book store, so I have everything from Algebra to Advanced Calculus, and Basic Circuits to Operational Amplifiers and PLC class books. :)

The internet merely lets me do a ctrl-F and autofind what I'm looking for rather than dig through all the books in my closet.

I really should dig out some of them and bring them to my office at work, they would be very handy at times.

Edit:
And no, I didn't stay up all night. I went to bed and when I woke up it dawned on me. Sometimes a rested mind makes the answer come easier.

Peter Nachtwey said:
I will need to check this when I wake up. There seems to be a difference. Between ctw3 and Tharon's answer. In Tharon's case C=2*arccos(radius-level/radius).

The difference is that my solution assumes a cylinder shaped vessel, like a barrel on its side.

CTW3's solution has a more accurate tank shape, that similar to a propane tank. This is more likely to be used as a liquid storage vessel than a drum barrel is. His calculations take into account the rounded ends.

Without wishing to spoil the maths party I would point out that most serious Level (rather than just distance) transmitters will do this calculation for you and give you a Volume output. Cylindrical tanks with and without domed ends are normally selectable without any custom parameterisation.

Andybr