Fanuc controller

rick62

Lifetime Supporting Member
what software would I need to connect to a fanuc controller on a cnc router, sometimes the issues and faults are hard to trouble shoot. i am familiar with most plcs , so i would like to try to work with the ladder program in the controller, if possible. the machine controls are around 15 years old. i have searched ge fanuc , and looks like either cimplicity or proficity may do it-- not sure-

Definitely better to start a new thread than to resurrect one from 2008. I've copied my response from there to here.
Do you have any more details about the controller? Perhaps some pictures.
Fifteen years ago there was still a joint venture called GE Fanuc. GE PLCs were capable of being the controllers for some of the Fanuc servo motors and amplifiers. At the same there were GE Fanuc CNC controllers that worked with the same motors and amps. If your customer's motion control was PLC-based you can use Proficy Machine Edition, which was originally called Cimplicity Machine Edition, not to be confused with Cimplicity HMI/SCADA software.

I am interested in this topic too. In Japan there are lots of Fanuc PLCs. Supposedly they support Ethernet/IP but we have seen no evidence of this. Also, the PLC would need to be a master like the Control Logix to talk to our controller. Our motion controller is multi lingual so it know many Ethernet protocols.

Right now I am interested in any Ethernet means of communications.

what software would I need to connect to a fanuc controller on a cnc router, sometimes the issues and faults are hard to trouble shoot. i am familiar with most plcs , so i would like to try to work with the ladder program in the controller, if possible. the machine controls are around 15 years old. i have searched ge fanuc , and looks like either cimplicity or proficity may do it-- not sure-

Currently, I am working on Fanuc 35i Series model and use Fanuc LADDER-III software to write ladder but I personally like to go into the system and then PMC ladder on the Fanuc Controller to look at the ladder logic if I need to troubleshoot and it's not bad to read rungs if someone comments those rungs properly.

I do have some Fanuc programming and troubleshooting manuals. If you want I can email you :)

I am assuming you must have Fanuc 0i model if it's old! and more experienced people on this forum can help you on that!

Good luck!

Regards,

Last edited: