Factory talk view se station version issues

stallone

Good day all

I have developed am application on factory talk view se studio ver 8.20.

I have backed up the application using application manager and all was well.

I went to the production pc running ftview se station ver 8.10 and restored the application, however this is where it stops because i get an error to say my application is not a valid archive file.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Yes, you backed it up on 8.20 and trying to open on 8.10. They are not backward compatible.

What you need to do is when you saving your application save is as older version in your case as 8.10. It should resolve the problem.
Other option is to upgrade the firmware on your production PC.

oh cool, i didnt know there is an option to save it as an earlier version?

Ok i will try that.

If i downgrade my development software to 8.10, do i have to redo the development work again or can i transfer what i did already on the 8.20 studio?

If you will downgrade FTView to 8.10 you probably will not be able to open application developed on version 8.20 of FTView.
Exporting your mimics and alarms to XML and try to re-import with lower FTView version will also not work.

Open the application and from the Application menu select Create Runtime Application.

If necessary, specify a different directory in which to save the run-time application file.

If desired, in the File name box, type a different name for the application file. The default is to use the same name as the development application.

In the Save As Type box, select what version of Machine Edition Station the application will run on. Options will be similar to:

Runtime 6.0 application (*.mer) - First in the list will be the current version of FactoryTalk View Machine Edition installed.
Runtime 5.0 application (*.mer)
Runtime 4.0 application (*.mer)
Runtime 3.20 application (*.mer)
Runtime 3.10 application (*.mer)
Runtime 3.0 application (*.mer)

In the Conversion to Development Application frame, select one of the following options:

Always allow conversion If you select this option, the .mer file can always be used
to generate an .med file.
Never allow conversion If you select this option, the .mer file can never be used to
generate an .med file.
Conversion protected by password If you select this option, the .mer file can only be used to
generate an .med file by providing a password.
Click Save. If there is more than one language in the application, the language wizard opens. (If there is only one language in the application, no language wizard appears and the run-time application is created). Select the language or languages to be included in the run-time application. If the version is 4.0 or later, the application will support multiple languages. Earlier applications support single languages.
In the language wizard, click Finish.

Thank you for the reply however im using the SE version?

Is this still an option?

The procedure Chopin mentioned is only valid for ME applications, either running on a Panelview or ME station.

SE requires the same version of the dev and runtime applications.

From technote 49016
"Creating a backup or runtime file in one version of FactoryTalk Studio then attempting to restore it in an older version is not supported. The version of FactoryTalk View on the system restoring the file must be the same or newer than the system that created the file. This includes patches and patch roll-ups."