Single Screen Password on HMI

dylantzips

Hello, I am trying to find out the easiest way to set up a password for a single screen on my HMI.

I am using Eaton's Visual Designer v8.

Is there a simple way to just set a password for the screen's goto button? Do I have to set up groups and users and use security levels?

Thanks

I've never used that brand, but you may be able to do it without using the built in user functionality.

One way that I've seen this work is to have two pages, a password prompt screen and the actual screen you want secure. Every screen that wants to link to the secure screen actually links to the password screen. On that screen, you have an IO field where the password is entered, and then probably a button to initiate some logic. You could do it in a script, or link it back to the PLC, but then if the password matches whatever you have pre-configured, it allows you to move to the secured screen. It could do it automatically as part of a script, or maybe by animating another button that isn't visible until the password checks out.

This should be a pretty vendor neutral way of doing it, but is probably more complicated than just using the built in user admin once you get past more than 1 hidden page.

Thanks for the reply but I managed to do it another way. For anyone curious, what I did was create different security levels with groups and users. You have to login (using a button on the HMI that calls the LogOn function) and have admin access before it will allow you to go to the screen.

Thanks for the reply but I managed to do it another way. For anyone curious, what I did was create different security levels with groups and users. You have to login (using a button on the HMI that calls the LogOn function) and have admin access before it will allow you to go to the screen.

Yeah, that's usually the preferred way to do it. I assumed you were trying to avoid using the built in feature, my bad