Allen Bradley ControlLogix 5000 PLC problem

VoltSmith

I would like to discuss a breakdown in my plant. The PLC system of a stamping machine is giving me a lot of pain. It broke down twoo weeks ago, but somehow recovered and started good operation from the next day. We never got any clue about what went wrong. So it's no surprize that it went down again three days ago.

I posted another message in this forum, and got many useful advices. I thank everyone for their time. I. however, made some mistakes in observation and emphasized on a misleading clue (EtherNet card). This time I'm documenting the problem in full details, and with corrections.

Description of the PLC.

1. Power supply
  2. CPU ControlLogix 5555 (slot 0, catalog 1756-L55 A)
  3. 2-Axis servo controller (slot 1, catalog 1756-M02AE/A)
  4. DC Input card (slot 5, catalog 1756-IB32)
  5. DC Output card (slot 7, catalog 1756-OB32)
  6. EtherNet/IP communication bridge (slot 8, catalog 1756-ENBT A) can be replaced with an ENET card without any problem.
  7. DeviceNet card (slot 9, catalog 1756-DNB)
External modules
  1. The serial port on the CPU is connected to a custom-made PCB that controls three glue-sprayers.
  2. The servo controller is connected to a servo drive (Parker Automation SPD), which drives the stamping motor (Parker Automation SBC).
  3. The DeviceNet card is connected to a bus coupler (Beckhoff BK5200), and then on the same bus connected to an HMI (PanelView 600).
  4. The Ethernet card is not connected to anything at all. And the system doesn't really care about its presence.
Symptoms of the fault
  • CPU starts up. "OK" and "RUN" LEDS glow right. "I/O" LED blinks.
  • Servo controller - "OK" LED blinks. "FDBK" and "DRIVE" LEDs for both channels blink. Seems normal.
  • DC Input card - "OK" glows green steadily. But blinks red after a while.
  • DC Output card - "OK" blinks in green.
  • EtherNet/IP card - "OK" on. "NET" blinks. "Link" off. Scrolling display says "Link Lost". Seems ok. When replaced with a spare ENET card, "Ok" is on, "TxD", "RxD" off, and that's expected.
  • DeviceNet card - "OK" blinks, "I/O" blinks, "MOD/NET" on.
  • Bus coupler "RUN" and "I/O" leds on.
  • HMI starts up, cannot read any param from the PLC. Shows "Error 4".
  • Servo drive is OK.
  • Glue sprayer PCB blinks green. We don't know the meaning, possibly "no link".
We have two similar machines with similar PLC config. When the CPUs are swapped between machines, problem moves with the CPU.

I'm handicapped, because we do not have RSLinx/RSLogix/RSNetworx. Sad situation, I know. We're in the process of buying those expensive packages. They less expensive than the present breakdown. It would have been nice to get the OEM co-operation. But their expert cannot arrive within a week from now at least.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Yeasir Rahul

I understand you don't have RS5000 for yourself but if yu have the program some of us maybe able to open it and look for some possible causes

Thanks much for the offer, Jeff.

We received the system without program source :-( So, the OEM is the only way for me. They'll send their man alright, but that'll take some time. I was desparate to do something in the meantime.

I have technicians who have the RSLogix Service edition. Can I use RSLogix Serice edition to read the program from the other machine, and then download it in a spare CPU card? I heard that you still need the source in your laptop to do that with service edition. Is it true?

Thanks, I'll explore this immediately.

The guy who has this service edition, says that I need a copy of the project :-(

Anyway, Is there anything we can do, without the project source?

I would try to upload the data. There will be not documentation, only thte tag name but this may be enough to get you going if they used good tag names. Get the info and post it we may be able to help if we have something to go on.

The project could be source code protected but you will not see that until you upload it. Give it a try and see what happens

I'm 90% sure that RSLogix 5000 Service Edition can upload and download projects even if you do not have the *.ACD file. You merely cannot edit logic routines with Service Edition.

Your OEM should certainly be able to e-mail the *.ACD file well in advance of their technician's travel.

Unfortunately your descriptions all match the controller having erased a corrupt program. The "RUN" LED can be solid green even with a null user program in the controller.

The blinking green RUN and OK LEDs on the motion module, the DeviceNet scanner, and the DC Output module all indicate that the controller does not have a configured I/O connection to them. The error message on the HMI does not sound familiar; where exactly does it show up and what exact text surrounds it ?

The DeviceNet module sometimes gives you good information. If the word "IDLE" shows up on the scrolling display, then the controller being in RUN mode is still not enabling the DeviceNet scanner, which is also consistent with the user program having been corrupted and erased.

Check the 1756-L55 controller to see if a Nonvolatile Memory (1756-M21 or -M22 or -M23) module has been installed. If there is a program in nonvolatile memory, the Service Edition software will give you the ability to manually force the controller to load the program backup, even if it is not configured to automatically load in the event of a memory corruption or failure.

Also check and post the Firmware Revision of the 1756-L55 controller. Versions 15.01, 15.02, and 15.03 in particular will need upgrades.

Thanks much Ken. I'm afraid, your opinion that the program memory is gone is probably correct. I was inclined to believe otherwise, because the system got ready on two occasions after the failure. But that recovery didn't last for even half an hour. Now it looks like the CPU was able to restore its backup on those occasions.

There is a non-volatile memory card in the CPU. Its probably M22, I'm not sure (I'm away from the plant now), but its capacity is 1.5 MegaByte, that I can remember.

Dear kamemges, the DeviceNet card display says "idle" for most times. It also shows "A 00" (addresss?) and "6". As I'm away from it today, I'm saying this from memory only.

Thanks for all your support. I'm very much grateful to you all and this forum. Regards.

Hi all,

Does RSLogix version 8.52 work with ControlLogix 5555 CPU? What version of RSLinx is required for this old version of RSLogix?

I have RSLinx Lite (revision 1.70.62.00) and installer for RSLogix (version 8.52), both downloaded free of cost from Rockwell website. But the RSLogix is not getting installed, saying I don't have the correct version of RSLinx. So, I can't actually run this software and see if it's any good for the Logix 5555 CPU I have.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
According to Rockwell's firmware software compatibility page it shows that RSLogix 5000 ver 8.52 would require RSLinx ver 2.40.01.

It is a free download and the current revision is v2.56.

OG

RSLinx.jpg

Thanks much, OperaGhost. I can only find RSLinx version 2.20.02 in the free download page. Could you kindly guide me to the version 2.40.01 ?