programming exercises

drummin89

Anyone have links to some good programming exercise's? I'm trying to train one of my co-workers and want to give him some practice programming. He needs help with seeing the big picture, thinking of every possible outcome or things that could go wrong and how to help prevent them.

We use all Allen Bradley processors at my plant.

thinking of every possible outcome or things that could go wrong and how to help prevent them.

well, thinking of EVERY possible outcome is a pretty tall order – but there are SOME things that only "go wrong" when the system goes through a power cycle – or when it first goes into the RUN mode ...

basic ideas:

(a) using Normally-Closed vs. Normally-Open wiring for your inputs can make a surprising difference ...

(b) using 24VDC vs. 120VAC for your inputs can make a surprising difference ...

(c) having a brief power "flicker" vs. a longer power "failure" can make a surprising difference ...

(d) using a PLC-5 platform vs. an SLC-500 platform vs. a ControlLogix platform can make a surprising difference ...

(e) and so on ...

when you consider that any "surprise" is a BAD thing in this business, then these types of ideas become highly significant ...

the important thing to remember is that these types of "surprises" can occur in machines that might work PERFECTLY for years in normal day-to-day operations – but then can suddenly malfunction when various Go-To-Run situations occur ...

some examples are covered in the "Surprises at Go-To-Run" quiz available as a download from my website ... just click the link in my signature below – and go to the "Sample Lessons and Videos" page ... then scroll down to the link for the "Email Quizzes" section ... the Questions and the Answers are available in PDF format as separate downloads ... it's free – and there's no need to register, etc. ...

I hope this is helpful to you ...

Last edited:
problem sheet

LOGICAL
1. ON a lamp with a switch and off same lamp with same switch.
2. ON a lamp with start push button and OFF the same lamp with stop push button.
3. ON 3 lamp with start push button and OFF the same lamp with stop push button.
4. ON a lamp with start push button and OFF the same lamp with same push button.
5. when start push button is pressed ,bulb is switched ON ,when run push button is pressed first bulb goes OFF and second bulb goes ON when process push button is pressed the second bulb goes OFF and first goes ON the system will stop by pressing stop push button.
6. there are three lamp, first lamp should go ON when start push button is pressed when again the same push button is pressed first lamp should go OFF and second lamp should switch ON ,when again the same push button is pressed the second lamp should go off and third lamp should go ON ,when again the same push button is pressed the third lamp should go OFF and again first lamp should go ON the system will stop by pressing stop push button.
7. when start toggle switch is pressed a lamp should go ON for 10 second ,after 10 sec .the lamp should go OFF while the start toggle is switch is ON
8. The lamp should go ON after 10sec of pressing the start push button and it will go OFF by pressing the stop push button
9.a high to low pulse is generated after every 10seconds of pressing start push button
10. there are two lamp the first lamp should go ON for 10 sec. by pressing the start push button after 10 sec the first lamp should OFF the and second lamp should go ON .the ON bulb should go OFF by pressing the stop push button.
11. there are two lamp on pressing start push button first lamp should go ON for 10 sec, after 10 sec .the first lamp should OFF the second lamp should go ON for 10 sec after 10 sec the second lamp should go OFF and first lamp should go ON the process will stop by pressing the stop push button (BLINKING)
12. there are two lamp ,ON pressing the start push button the first lamp should ON and when the start push button is pressing again the first lamp should go OFF and second lamp should go ON if any lamp is ON for more than 15 sec then both lamp will interchange their status i.e. the ON lamp goes OFF and OFF lamp goes ON the process will stop by pressing the stop push button.
13. On pressing the start push button lamp should go ON ,when the same push button is pressed second time the bulb should go OFF and remain OFF for next 15 sec if the start push button is pressed in between these 15 sec the lamp should not go ON and it will only go ON after 15 sec
14. By pressing the start push button the value stored in a memory word move to another memory word.
15. By pressing the start push button the value stored in a memory word is between 22 and 27 the lamp should go ON otherwise the lamp should remain OFF
16. When start push button is pressed the vale in this memory word is AND ed with another value in another memory word and the result is stored in third memory word.
17. When start push button is pressed the value in this memory words is ORed with another value in another memory word and the result is stored in third memory word .
18.on pressing the start the vale in a memory word is added subtracted ,multiplied and divided with another memory word and the result is stored in a memory other then two .
19. A lamp should go ON after 10 input pulses
20 when start push button is pressed an input pulse should come after every 5 sec and a lamp should go after 5 input pulses
21.there are 6 lamps when start push button is pressed lamp 0,2 are ON and other off after 5 sec lamp 2,3 ON and other OFF after another 5 sec lamp 1,3 are ON other OFF after another 5 sec lamp 0,1 are ON other OFF the process continues until the stop push button is pressed .

for any mistake i am really sory..:eek:

I won't post my examples, since the previous posters have a fine list already.
[Ron's points are, as usual, on the money, and are cause for thought for all of us, not just first-learners. I probably would not use them in a beginner's class, though.]

But, consider coming up with examples that are simple enough to be fully understood without "questioning the question".
I use examples with ONLY one input, and ONLY one output.
That way, it is hard to question the question, and the student focuses on the solution right away.