small and very low cost device with ethernet

If you have access to a supplier with good OEM pricing, try the Turck FEN20-4DIP-4DXP.

I see them retail around $300, but I believe I had pricing from someone at one point around $100.

They do Ethernet IP and profinet and have a pass through switch which is great, all in a small footprint.

+1

..and it clips onto a standard 35mm DIN rail(!)

If you have access to a supplier with good OEM pricing, try the Turck FEN20-4DIP-4DXP.

I see them retail around $300, but I believe I had pricing from someone at one point around $100.

They do Ethernet IP and profinet and have a pass through switch which is great, all in a small footprint.

+2.

We've been using these recently and they are fantastic value.

It is a breeze to set these up as an IO device in a Compact or ControlLogix processor.

cheap solution is to use arduino leonardo runs on language C and costs 10 $

I'm pretty sure that would be more expensive than an off the shelf component if we account OP's hour rate. Not to comment on his technical ability, but only on the additional stuff he would need to build around it and the lack of certification of these components for use in anything.