Where did Elon Musk go wrong?

The Tesla factory is a repurposed GM/Toyota Joint Venture factory (called NUMI, New United Motors Inc) that was closed down for a couple of years before Tesla bought it. But GM and Toyota has stripped everything out of it when they left, it was just a shell. We used to joke that you could fire a cannon at the south end and not hit anything until it went out the north wall. So Tesla started from absolute scratch.

There are two lines for the Model 3 now, in addition to the lines for the S and X still in production, albeit limited now because he has pulled people off of those lines in order to staff up the 2nd Model 3 line. They are about to hit their stated goal of 5,000 cars per month despite their MES issues. And yes, Elon is a programmer and it’s true that he has little regard for ladder logic programming, but not a lot of the machine systems use that anyway and despite his being on the line all the time, sometimes night and day, he doesn’t get into the programming of the PLCs himself, he has a huge team of programmers out there that he trusts. Like I said, the automation of individual machines is done and working, nothing is “failed” at the production machinery level, it’s all top-end stuff that has been vexing them.

Like Mark Twain, the rumors of their death are greatly exaggerated.

Darn KEN, can you drive it to the Northcoast BBQ?

Elon has surpassed everyone's expectation on what he can accomplish but even genius, which he is, can fail. I just don't see how he can turn the corner on financing at the current trajectory and eventually the balance sheet has to work out. The big car maker can choose to jump in with both feet and afford to sell at a loss longer than Tesla can stay solvent.

Another thing is the current infrastructure is not there for electric car owners and there's no profit for any of the charging station providers. It's the old chicken and egg thing. While I'm certain that electric car is the future, I'm not certain that Tesla will be part of it.

Better for my blood pressure that I don't read another article by a short-seller. Amazing how much effort they'll put into falsehoods or exaggerations to make every bit of news look negative. And not one of them actually cares about the company, its employees, or its mission.

I actually took my Model 3 to the North Coast Electric EVSE charger at their Lander Street location the day I bought it. I'll definitely bring it to this summer's BBQ !

Sure, Tesla could do things differently. But fortune favors the bold. If conventional factories and conventional risks and conventional investment could do what they are doing, then GM and Toyota would have done it already.

I am a supporter of the corporate mission of Tesla Motors, and I put my money where my mouth is.

I have a standing offer for Tesla skeptics, and for Tesla enthusiasts alike:

Get in.

Being a 350 ci enthusiast, my only question is " how much rubber can you get off the tires if you put your whole foot in it"

Just curious.

One of the amazing things about watching Model S drag races against high-power sport coupes is how the tires don't squeal or spin or smoke. The Tesla driver simply keeps her accelerator pedal floored and the Inconel contactors, high-voltage battery, and torque vectoring software do the rest.

Yes, it lacks the visceral roar of a combustion engine. But the electric powertrain allows you to hear your passengers' reactions.

Well I didn't do my research before I open my mouth. ( damn fish )

The X model set the world record for an SUV 11.14 / 114 mph in the 1/4

This one was impressive too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=_nQDU7HOStc&v=3GZtTRKuE8A

One draw back that i see for a virtually silent running car in this state, feral hogs wont know to get out of the way when you run them down at 85 mph, at night. Or does it have night vision too ")

Well I didn't do my research before I open my mouth. ( damn fish )

The X model set the world record for an SUV 11.14 / 114 mph in the 1/4

This one was impressive too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=_nQDU7HOStc&v=3GZtTRKuE8A

One draw back that i see for a virtually silent running car in this state, feral hogs wont know to get out of the way when you run them down at 85 mph, at night. Or does it have night vision too ")

Then there is this...

https://vimeo.com/253258542

Another thing is the current infrastructure is not there for electric car owners and there's no profit for any of the charging station providers. It's the old chicken and egg thing. While I'm certain that electric car is the future, I'm not certain that Tesla will be part of it.

The infrastructure is not there yet and that certainly is a problem, but Tesla has managed to sort of reverse the image that electric or "green" cars had of being very dull. The Leaf was fairly odd looking and they took a page from Tesla's book and the new version is much much nicer looking.
Tesla also beat the range anxiety concerns which is one important weak point of EV's at the moment.

I personally think Tesla is going to run into financial issues, but their appeal will be far too greater for the brand to die and some motor group will likely pick it up.

One of the amazing things about watching Model S drag races against high-power sport coupes is how the tires don't squeal or spin or smoke. The Tesla driver simply keeps her accelerator pedal floored and the Inconel contactors, high-voltage battery, and torque vectoring software do the rest.

Wait a minute....you left out a large factor, the all wheel drive has something to do with it not spinning, also my car has very little spin in 'street mode' so when you say against high-power coupes lets talk apples to apples

Apple one

2017 Dodge challenger R/T (I always thought it meant "Rapid Transit")

Horsepower: 372 hp @ 5,200 rpm
Engine: 5.7 L V8
Curb weight: 4,190 lbs

1/4 mile: 0- 60 5.1 sec, and 1/4 mile in 13.7 @ 103 mph

Apple two

2017 Tesla Model 3

Horse power: Rear motor 258 hp (192 kW),[2] 317 lb⋅ft (430 N⋅m)
Engine: 3-phase 6-pole
Curb weight: Standard: 3,549 lb (1,610 kg)
Long-range: 3,814 lb (1,730 kg)

1/4 mile: 0-60 mph in 4.6 sec and 1/4-mile in 13.3 sec @103 mph

In my experience hook up is all about how you deliver power to the surface.

All wheel drive is more efficient but it's still alot of metal to sling.

Apple of my Eye

42 inches tall

Horse power: knocks over daddy in the blink of an eye
Engine: not sure but i am jealous at all the energy she can develop.
curb weight 45 Lbs

1/4 mile: 0-OMG in 2.5 seconds if you pi** her off, and 1/4 mile (if I saddle Harry or Truman) bout thirty minutes.

And will end up costing ten time the price of any of your toys. Worth every penny!!!!

Last edited:
Apple one

2017 Dodge challenger R/T (I always thought it meant "Rapid Transit")

Horsepower: 372 hp @ 5,200 rpm
Engine: 5.7 L V8
Curb weight: 4,190 lbs

1/4 mile: 0- 60 5.1 sec, and 1/4 mile in 13.7 @ 103 mph

I can only comment on mine...

Apple one
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Horsepower: 725+ hp (not stock)
Engine: 6.2 L V8 supercharged
Curb weight: way too much (plus my fat ***) setup as a track car not a drag car

Apple of my eye
Blond hair and blue eyes, 5-7ish and I have not ****ed her off in the past 25 years... I learned not too the first year we were married, been happy ever since I learned that lesson

Just saw this story, it's from a short seller so take it FWIW:

http://adventuresincapitalism.com/2018/07/01/ivar-kreuger-goes-green/

But these ones are from a reputable news agency:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-teslas-model-3-building-sprint-idUSKBN1JT0CQ

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-5000-model-3-production-target-idUSKBN1JS1IE

I dunno about production lines operating in tents with 'borrowed' personnel while their CEO is running around, yelling like a drill sargent...

While their product is truly an engineering achievement, the economics of producing, selling and supporting it are dubious at best.

Infrastructure is in progress. Sheetz (gas / convenience) south of York, PA at the I-83 / Rt. 182 junction has had construction the last few weeks adding eight charging stations.

image.jpeg