Can we use CLX CPU with PLC-5 I/O Modules?

ckchew666

Hi,

We've a customer's plant using PLC 5/60 (non-redundant). The number of IO are:

DI = 300
DO = 300
AI = 24
AO = 16

Customer is thinking of changing to CLX CPU, because of the age of PLC-5 and the cost of keeping a PLC-5 CPU cost a bomb!

1) Can we use CLX CPU while maintaining the PLC-5 IO modules? Is there any advantage or disadvantage in doing so (if possible)?

Hope someone with CLX & PLC-5 experience can throw in some suggestions, shall the entire system be ALL CLX or a mixture?

The plant consists a few other machines with almost similar number of IO given above, they plant to change to CLX system as well if this works well :)

Current system is running RIO network to Block IO and messaging with SLC.

All suggestions are welcome :) Thx. :)

what u are talking about same we had done in that also we use only
CLX CPU with DH RIO module all 1771 i/o were on RIO port
so you can use same congigyration

With CLX there is a limit on the number of Block transfers, I think it can do 16 easily and 32 with some timing tricks. I may be wrong on the actual numbers, but there is a limit. Looks like you will only be using about 6, so you should be okay.

Ken

Last year we completed a project similar to this.

We communicated to 7 chassis (14 Racks) with a total I/O count of 1200. We did timing tricks to get all the communications working.

I would have loved to convert the whole system over to ControlLogix I/O, but the decision around rewiring was made to just keep the 1771 I/O.

Works well - we even added in redundant processors. Love that feature. Saved me from coming into the plant in the middle of the night.

I agree, it can be done without too much difficulty.

I would push using ControlNet to link the I/O to the CLX instead of RIO. I am not real strong on RIO applications, but I know there are some limitations with the 1756-DHRIO card.

I have worked on ControlNet based conversions that went very well. ControlNet is a much more powerful tool than RIO for networking.

RIO can get the job done too if the customer requires it. I would try for CNET if it was my job to do though.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Thx for everyone's input, so I can conclude we have no problem proceeding with the proposal for changing the PLC5 CPU to CLX CPU while maintaining the rest of the PLC-5 IO modules.

I think not much of ppl touching/talking about CLX CPU with 1791 Standard IO Block (have some of these running in the cust's plant). They are working fine with PLC-5 in RIO, so I guess there shoul be no problem with CLX CPU on RIO. Am I right.

Cust can't afford to use CNET because of the 1791 Standard IO Block units installed, they want to maintain them in the plant :)

Thx.