1769-ASCII buffer issue

swayne76

I have a 1769-L35E processor with two 1769-ASCII modules to retrieve bar codes from four matrix 2000 cameras. I am having an issue where the ascii module is retaining the previous parts data. This is an intermittent issue, sometimes the machine will run upwards of 60 cycles before the issue starts. Usually after that it will be every other part. Rockwell said it was a timing issue, but I have yet to figure it out. Also the ascii modules are in simultaneous mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Never used the 1769-ASCII modules, but in the SLC world, there is a basic module that does the same thing. It also has a buffer that can retain data.

When I am done reading the data, I set either bit 16 or 17 in the basic module. That clears the buffer. Sorry I can't remember which bit I set as I no longer work there to look up the program. You can see if the 1769 has a similar command.

It seems the cameras were not playing nice with the ascii modules. Could not get the buffer to clear completely. We put a 100 count array for the part numbers to go to. Then wrote the code to qualify that the present part does not match the previous one. This is working well, but did slow the system down a touch.

Bail out on the AB ASCII

We have done battle with ASCII printers and Bar Code Scanners for yaers. While it is rewarding to arrive at success with a hundred lines of ladder logic to read a simple barcode, it is more profitible to arrive at the soulution with less effort.

Check out "Real Time Automation" ASCII Gateways. No ladder required. The bar code scan dumps right into ASCII string target.

Printing out is just as easy, just dump a string, and the RTA sucks it up. Label printing made easy.

http://www.rtaautomation.com/products/435/ASCIICompact.html