RSLogix 5000 skipping version 19

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Today, I opened up my L23E QB1B Compaclogix with Embedded I/O, and it had a sticker on it that said version B, firmware version 19 or 20 only.

So, I opened RSLogix5k, and I have versions 16, 17, 18, and 20 installed. All our other controllers are version 16 at this plant, including the last in-motion checkweigher controller I built.

I decided to just use version 20 in this one. I had no issues with loading the firmware, although it somehow did time out and retry once about 2/3 through the process.

I am not expecting any surprises in performance, since the logic is so concise already.

I was wondering, though, will I run into issues with RSLogix5000 software having skipped support for version 19 in particular?

Would it have been a better choice?

No, I don't believe so, unless you try connecting to a machine with V19 installed (doesn't sound like that's likely). Otherwise make sure your v20 is v20.01 or newer, I had some weirdness with the Ethernet/IP driver that went away when I upgraded from the initial release.

It shouldn't be an issue to go straight to V20. I know some members have had issues with V20, especially with Motion control, but that was a Scan Time issue. I have only upgraded ours to V19, and I don't have any plans to go higher at the moment. In that case, I jumped from V15 to V19 directly, and had no issues.

Stu....

If you are not application "pushing" the CPU, "maxing out" the firmware should not be an issue; I've had to downgrade back to 19 a few L61s, however, they were pretty busy already with Vision and Motion components.
Rev.19 seems to be rock solid though; except for the extremely annoying RSL5K(substantial) hardware tree Online animation I have yet to find any flaws.