ControlLogix Communication Help

MattEveritt6

Hello,

I have a 1756 controllogix PLC. I have an old laptop that has a 25 pin serial port. Would I be able to use a standard 9 pin to 25 pin RS232 cable for downloading and communicating to the PLC. If not, would I have to use the 1761-CBL-AC00 cable that rockwell recommends? I also have a powerflex 40 that I want to connect to the laptop via ethernet. Would it be an option to get a serial to ethernet adapter for the PLC and just run everything to a switch?

Any comments will be useful, Thanks.

wow, a 25 pin serial port. How old is that laptop?

There's no serial to Ethernet adapter, there is USB ethernet adaptor.

You really need a new laptop, and probably new software. I could be wrong here but I doubt very much that any contrologix software would run on a laptop that still got 25 ping serial port. Time to donate that laptop to the museum.

Odds are you will not be able to get the software RSLogix even loaded on the laptop... what is the OS on the laptop? and I doubt you would even have a USB port so that is also out, take harryting's advice and its time to spend a little money

Are you certain that the laptop port is a serial port and not a parallel port ? I agree that a 25-pin RS-232 port would be extremely uncommon in a laptop that can also run Windows XP or Windows 7.

Would I be able to use a standard 9 pin to 25 pin RS232 cable for downloading and communicating to the PLC.

You need a "null modem" type cable. The easiest way to get one is to add an off-the-shel Null Modem Adapter to an ordinary straight-through serial cable.

If not, would I have to use the 1761-CBL-AC00 cable that rockwell recommends?

The 1761-CBL-AC00 is an 18-inch long DB9 to DB9 cable that's a short alternative to the more common 1747-CP3 and 1756-CP3 cables. You are more likely to use a 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 eventually.

I also have a powerflex 40 that I want to connect to the laptop via ethernet. Would it be an option to get a serial to ethernet adapter for the PLC and just run everything to a switch?

It is far more common to get an Ethernet module for the 1756 chassis (1756-ENET, 1756-ENBT, 1756-EN2T) and connect everything to a switch.

It is possible, but not recommended, to connect a 1761-NET-ENI to the ControlLogix and send messages to the PowerFlex 40 over Ethernet. This would be slow and unreliable.

Which exact model of 1756-series controller do you have ? If it's a very old 1756-L1 controller, it won't be able to control I/O, including AC drives, over Ethernet.