Siemens S5 115U’s PLC Software and Cable Needed

qee

Hello All,

Does anyone know what software and cable is required to get online to a Siemens S5 115U PLC? I need to be able to Upload/Download and fault find on the PLC. I live in the UK so if anyone knows the names and details of any suppliers where I can purchase these items it would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Qee

Hello Qee,

you need a RS232-TTY converter. The siemens reference of this converter + cable is 6ES5734-1BD20, an it costs about 150 euros (list price).
You need Step5 software.

You can both order by Siemens in the UK.

Rudi

Hold on to the table when you get the list price for the full version of STEP5.

Less costly alternative is "S5 for Windows".
THIS is their homepage.

But you will need the Siemens software if you need to use any of the COM software packages (for communication cards).
I think so - maybe they can work standalone, but I am unsure of that.

In any case you need the TTY cable.

Last edited:
I have laptop with serial port COM1 9 pin , running with WinXp.
I have also a TTY/RS232 converter cable PLC 15-pin / PC 25-pin(part no.6ES5 734-1BD20).Also I have 9-pin female to 25-pin male(part no.982075-14) to connect S5 PLC via serial port.
It is possible to use a rs232 25 pin male to usb adapter and TTY/RS232 converter cable PLC 15-pin / PC 25-pin for connecting to S5 PLC via USB ,or I should use a different cable?
Thanks!!!

I have laptop with serial port COM1 9 pin , running with WinXp.
I have also a TTY/RS232 converter cable PLC 15-pin / PC 25-pin(part no.6ES5 734-1BD20).Also I have 9-pin female to 25-pin male(part no.982075-14) to connect S5 PLC via serial port.
It is possible to use a rs232 25 pin male to usb adapter and TTY/RS232 converter cable PLC 15-pin / PC 25-pin for connecting to S5 PLC via USB ,or I should use a different cable?
Thanks!!!

Wow you managed to find a really old thread.

I've used the step5 cable with a serial->usb converter but it doesnt alway work flawlessly.
So i say use the 9-pin with a converter.