FTView SE Network Station - Rename HMI Server

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Working on an FTView SE application where I've been given a "sample" application to model the new one on. I've restored the APA using the new project number, but the HMI server still has the old project number on it. If I right click>Properties, I can see the name and I get the flashing cursor as if I can edit it, but I can't. Nothing happens when I type.

Does anyone know how to rename a HMI server?

Thanks Gary - I've been down that path before, and if I want to I can delete servers, or rename entire projects - but I can't rename a server. Any ideas?

(apologies for the photo-of-monitor, this is a new SCADA PC and I haven't gotten around to setting up screenshots)

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 8.48.10 am.jpg

Your going to have so much fun.

If your lucky you can use the stop services tool in the Factorytalk View SE Tools and it will allow you to rename.

But speaking from experience it never seems to be that simple.

You might be able to get it to go if you make sure the HMI Server is not set to start on boot and you reboot.

You might be able to stop the services, reboot without startup, flush the IE cache and get it to go.

Of the 20 different software packages I use routinely SE is BY FAR the biggest pain in the *** to get to do what should be simple operation.

I renamed the whole software bundle. I call it F#ctoryBalk Stupido....

I think you are better off leaving the server name alone or starting over with a name you like and then import the bits and pieces you need from the other project.

I tried several approaches and the only step where you can change the HMI server is when it's copied to a new project (Add new server > HMI server > Copy an HMI server).

Eventually found something in the help files:

- On a Local Station application, the HMI server name is automatically changed with the application name
- On a Network Distributed application, the HMI server cannot be renamed

Nothing at all about Network Station applications, which mine is.

I put in a call to tech support, the only way we found to do it is to delete the HMI server. It deletes it from your application, but not from the disk. Then add a new HMI and call it whatever you want - and it will ask you whether to create a new (blank) server, or to copy one of the ones that are lurking on the disk. Select the one with the previous name and hey presto, new server with same contents.

[sarcasm]Can't believe I didn't think of deleting a server as a way to rename it. Makes perfect sense![/sarcasm]

I tried several approaches and the only step where you can change the HMI server is when it's copied to a new project (Add new server > HMI server > Copy an HMI server).

Thanks for the input. Thats really the only way how renaming works well.
Create a new project with the new name. In that project add a new server (Copy the old HMI server) and assign the new name. Then delete the old project and server (if the rockwell services are in a good mood and let you :geek:)

Last edited:
Thumbs up on this from me. Am awaiting a call back from Rockwell which I put in before I searched this forum...that will be a quick call now, maybe just complain briefly and let them know PLCS.net had the answer for me when their Knowledgebase did not. FactoryBalk Stupido for sure!

Last edited: