TIA Portal Upload

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have a PLC, which I have the program for. I want to go online with it, confirm it's the same as my offline copy, and then upload it so that all the machine settings are saved in my file before I start making modifications.

In AB world, all I do is go online, save, and click yes to uploading all data. The current value of all tags is uploaded and saved in my file. If there are any changes it'll tell me about it when I upload and ask me what I want to do about it, and then I can run a compare if I want to.

How do I do the same thing with an S7-1200 using TIA Portal (v11, in case it matters)? I want to connect to the PLC and have it upload the current value of all data blocks and PLC tags, and save them to the file, so that when I download later on, I don't have to manually re-enter 100 machine settings.

Thanks!

In AB (at least SLC500 and PLC5, not sure if it has changed with Logix) you simply have the data files and their content. In Siemens lingo, AB data files would have actual values, but not initial values. Because of Siemens have both initial values and actual values, it takes a bit of effort to take the online actual values and save them before editing so that when you download modified DBs, the old actual values will be downloaded together with the changed DBs.
There is a feature to first take "snapshots" of the online actual values, and then copy the snaphot values to the initial values.
This is only really implemented well from V14 and onwards. I would definitely upgrade to V15. V11 is barely functional, whereas with V15 TIA is beginning to be well-functional (but far from perfect).

Hi all,

I have a PLC, which I have the program for. I want to go online with it, confirm it's the same as my offline copy, and then upload it so that all the machine settings are saved in my file before I start making modifications.

In AB world, all I do is go online, save, and click yes to uploading all data. The current value of all tags is uploaded and saved in my file. If there are any changes it'll tell me about it when I upload and ask me what I want to do about it, and then I can run a compare if I want to.

How do I do the same thing with an S7-1200 using TIA Portal (v11, in case it matters)? I want to connect to the PLC and have it upload the current value of all data blocks and PLC tags, and save them to the file, so that when I download later on, I don't have to manually re-enter 100 machine settings.

Thanks!

Contact support. TIA Portal in-general is bad at this, it was even more broken in that version. I dont understand how something as simple as uploading a major company like Siemens screwed up so badly.

Thanks Jesper. I have v14 but the firmware on the S7-1200 is at v11, and I only have one day onsite so I'd prefer not to bite off more than I can chew by trying to update firmware at the same time.

Looks like I'm stuck with doing it manually in v11!

In AB world, all I do is go online, save, and click yes to uploading all data. The current value of all tags is uploaded and saved in my file.

There is a disadvantage to uploading all data... If you upload the machine in mid-cycle for example, all your tags are reflected in that. If your PLC dies and you download that program you uploaded, you are downloading a program that is effectively in mid-cycle, and you have to go through and reset the affected tags. This did happen to me. Mind you I was fairly new to AB at the time and didn't really give that a thought.

In the Siemens world, you can define what data is retentive and which is not. So when you start up your CPU you know what is kept and what is not. in AB everything is retained, so your program has to handle data that will be reset when you startup the CPU. But, in practice, it's best that your program handle what needs to be reset when powering on the machine.