CX Programmer on Windows XP mode

larz61

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone here has ever used CX Programmer on Windows XP mode? I am having trouble getting my USB-CN226 to work in XP Mode. I can't attach the USB device no matter what port I try. This laptop does not have a USB 3.0. I can attach flash drives just fine. Any tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Hope this helps you out.

Garry, I know you are trying to help but giving bad information is worse than no help at all... the CN226 is for a completely different PLC then the link you sent for both the driver and video neither would not be any help and odds are would make things worse.

larz61, Yes you can use XP Mode, open your device manager and make sure you have a COM number next to your CN226 cable under ports, if you do then your driver is loaded correctly, if you dont contact the manufacturer of the cable and get the driver, watch the video below for the setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_3F4_kN3Ss

welcome to the forum.

What pc and operating system are you using?
you mention xp mode, so It is unclear what os you are using.

regards,
james

My laptop is a Dell Precision M4600 running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. However for whatever reason, I am unable to get CX Programmer 9.2 to install on my machine, so as a work around, I installed it on Windows XP virtual machine. I just have not been able to get the software to communicate with my PLC through Windows XP mode.

I have uploaded a video showing my issue.

https://youtu.be/KIgS-nkwy9g

In order to get the software / device to work on a vm machine, the host system MUST be able to recgonize it.

Are you the local administrator of the laptop? You may need administrative permission to install the program.
have you contacted the device tech support about the issue?
with their help, you may discover a firewall / virus software issue and you may need to add the program exception to the firewall / virus software.
does the usb port work with other devices?

I have this issue all the time with administrator permission requirements.

regards,
james

The host system recognizes the cable but will not allow me to install the software. I get several different errors while running the installer through Win7, one of them being a permissions error. I have already verified that I am an administrator. I have tried running the setup with the "run as administrator" option. I reached out to my IT department as well as several co-workers and they flat out told me that they could not help me.

Next to reformatting this machine or getting it to work on Windows XP Virtual machine, I don't know what to do at this point.

I reached out to my IT department as well as several co-workers and they flat out told me that they could not help me.

Nice... you can pay them back someday

I would open your device manager and go to the cable.. click on advanced and try changing from COM4 to COM3

Nice... you can pay them back someday

I would open your device manager and go to the cable.. click on advanced and try changing from COM4 to COM3

I tried this and got an error like "This comm port is already used by a smart card" which is strange because I have no other USB device plugged into my machine.... I also tried changing it to comm 5 with no luck. I also tried reinstalling the windows 7 driver.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/28457-problem-with-cx-one-instalation/

You may have to uninstall using the utility on the CX-One package and install again.
This may help you out,
Regards,

Ran the latest uninstall utility (on Windows 7) from http://www.omron-cxone.com/utility/ and then tried to run the CX-One setup(on Windows 7) with the resulting error screenshots attached.

I also attached a screen shot showing my windows 7 device manager.

UPDATE: Progress! I finally got the cable to show in the Windows XP mode device manager after trying 3 different USB ports! I could swear I already tried this.... but oh well! :)

cxpermissionerror.jpg cxonepermissionerror2.jpg cxfeaturetransfererror.jpg installshieldwizardcompleted.jpg devicemanager.jpg

Last edited:
Why? The latest CX-P runs on Windoze 10 without any issue. It does not interfere with any other programs and is the only PLC software I run natively straight in Windoze without any issues. Everything else runs in a VM. It is the cleanest PLC software ever for mine and doses not 'infect' your hard drive with ****. I always use it clean in the OS. It does not grab serial ports or anything else - just closes down cleanly.

Why? The latest CX-P runs on Windoze 10 without any issue. It does not interfere with any other programs and is the only PLC software I run natively straight in Windoze without any issues. Everything else runs in a VM. It is the cleanest PLC software ever for mine and doses not 'infect' your hard drive with ****. I always use it clean in the OS. It does not grab serial ports or anything else - just closes down cleanly.

Windows 10 and the newest version of CX Programmer are not an option for me as of right now... I have to work with Windows 7 Prof and CX 9.2 or nothing at all.

To update everyone on my situation, the cable is recognized in Windows XP mode now, but I have not yet been able to get a Windows XP driver to work.

I ordered it from http://www.plccable.com/ and tried the latest driver downloads from that site with no luck. I am still searching for a solution.

Why did you just not call or email me?

There is a manual and auto install on the CD

Click on update driver in device manager, also if you are using W7 then the drivers are 'plug-n-play' and should load automatically... if neither of them work, open the CD and go to all drivers, there you will see manual install, open newest (CH340/341) and run the manual install, you will need to do this on your VM and host machine

For the software, install it on W7, I have a few versions running on it, try right clicking on the EXE to open CX Programmer, then choose Troubleshoot Compatibility and run as XP, running it on your host machine will be better then a VM with all the issues you are having

All else fails... [email protected] 864-445-2851 it will be a lot faster than posting here and less frustrating

I have to work with Windows 7 Prof and CX 9.2 or nothing at all.

CX-Programmer v9.x is part of CX-One version 4.

If you have registered your software, you can run the Auto Update utility (Start/Omron/CX-One/Omron Automation Software AutoUpdate)

This will check your installed version and allow you to download the most recent version. CX-Programmer is up to v9.6x (?).
I have not checked for updates recently.

Hope this will help.

Why did you just not call or email me?

There is a manual and auto install on the CD

Click on update driver in device manager, also if you are using W7 then the drivers are 'plug-n-play' and should load automatically... if neither of them work, open the CD and go to all drivers, there you will see manual install, open newest (CH340/341) and run the manual install, you will need to do this on your VM and host machine

For the software, install it on W7, I have a few versions running on it, try right clicking on the EXE to open CX Programmer, then choose Troubleshoot Compatibility and run as XP, running it on your host machine will be better then a VM with all the issues you are having

All else fails... [email protected] 864-445-2851 it will be a lot faster than posting here and less frustrating

I tried running the setup on W7, troubleshooting compatibility/running as XP and I still get a permissions error.

I called and left a voicemail. I will send an email shortly as well.

CX-Programmer v9.x is part of CX-One version 4.

If you have registered your software, you can run the Auto Update utility (Start/Omron/CX-One/Omron Automation Software AutoUpdate)

This will check your installed version and allow you to download the most recent version. CX-Programmer is up to v9.6x (?).
I have not checked for updates recently.

Hope this will help.
I cannot get the software to install at all(on windows 7) so this will not work for me....

notsufficientprvileges.jpg

Last edited: