Proficy iFIX Get Text Database Tag into VBA String Variable

aiki202

I am trying to simply display a PLC string tag value (text) in a VBA control (msgbox or anything...just to get it working). The following code is what I have tried with no success:

Where "Fix32.L2.Heartbeat_FromABPLC_Loss_0" is the iFIX Text database tag.

Dim str_DateTimeStamp As String

1st try...
str_DateTimeStamp = Fix32.L2.Heartbeat_FromABPLC_Loss_0.A_CV

2nd try...
str_DateTimeStamp = ReadValue("Fix32.L2.Heartbeat_FromABPLC_Loss_0.A_CV")

The error message I get is #-2147187524
"Field's value not known"

I have the IGS driver setup to communicate to an AB CompactLogix controller. The string data from the PLC looks good in the IGS runtime window. I imported the required IGS tags into the iFIX tag database using the Discovery & Configure utility. I have double checked both and they appear to be setup correctly???

Anyone know what I might am doing wrong?

I used the same code today as yesterday but now it is working. This software can certainly cause frustration. Below is some of my code that works in case someone else is having issues in the future (as the help files are really not that helpful IMO).

The 'Fix32.L2.HEARTBEAT_FROMMLPLC_LOSS_0.A_CV' tag is a String tag from Logix 5000 with a length of 30. In the IGS driver it is a Read Only STRING type, and in the iFIX tag database it is a Text type tag with a length of 30.

Private Sub LoadListboxData()

Dim str_DateTimeStamp as String

str_DateTimeStamp = ReadValue("Fix32.L2.HEARTBEAT_FROMMLPLC_LOSS_0.A_CV")
.AddItem (str_DateTimeStamp)
str_DateTimeStamp = ReadValue("Fix32.L2.HEARTBEAT_FROMMLPLC_CONNECT_0.A_CV")
.Column(1, 0) = str_DateTimeStamp

str_DateTimeStamp = ReadValue("Fix32.L2BER.HEARTBEAT_FROMMLPLC_LOSS_1.A_CV")
.AddItem (str_DateTimeStamp)
str_DateTimeStamp = ReadValue("Fix32.L2BER.HEARTBEAT_FROMMLPLC_CONNECT_1.A_CV")
.Column(1, 1) = str_DateTimeStamp

End Sub