Mitsubishi GX Developer - uploading/downloading program from PLC

mkac

Hi,

I need to do some research on Mitsubishi PLC program. I want to download original program (made by someone else, I have no source code) and save on PC (with GX developer) from PLC, play a little with its copy (on PLC) and then upload original program to PLC. Is it safe ? Will PLC work as before manipulating program ? Are there any traps ? Is you can guess I'm starting my adventure with this technology :)

MKAC

Upload from PLC is safe, assuming you do not mix it with download to PLC (your terminology is opposite- be careful !).
Program and data transfer are separate procedures.
And be aware, that the PLC may be locked with password.
Of course, the PLC will not work as before after manipulating the program.

Thx for your replay. Good to know that there is another terminology :) So I'm supposed to upload Program and the data, save it in safe place and no matter what I will do with CPU program and data (of course without changes my original copy in the safe place) I can download original program from safe place and it will work as before, am I right ?

Start with : Project, New and set your PLC in the window. Then go to Online and upload all 4 selections available under Read from PLC. Be advised that the chances of getting any "comments" or descriptions of any kind is very remote. Takes too much PLC RAM space. There also may not be any File Registers available, that depends on the programmer who set it up. Those run in blocks of 500, starting at D1000 (yep, in the middle). The manual can give you the description for devices at D8000 and M8000 and above, but not below that. While I always documented my programs, that info stays with the laptop, never in the PLC.

Thank you very much,

thanks to you I'll be more confident while fighting with it :)

Last edited:
Just so you know mkac, you seem to think that once you have uploaded the program from the plc, that the plc is empty.

You are only uploading a copy of what is in the plc - the program will still reside in the plc and it will still work as before. You have no need to download the copy back!

And should you want to download it back - get into the habit of using 'verify' first. This confirms that the program on your laptop is exactly the same as in the plc

Thank you for all your replays. I was more confident while I was working with this PLC. I needed to change small thing in its program and I've managed to do this without any surprises :)

regards Michal