Laptop + PLC + WiFi Communication

Quatorzepr

Hi, I'm new to the forum, however, I have been reading it for a while. I have a good understanding of the PLC logic, but I'm very rookie when it comes to going live with the computer.

My question is the following:

Is there any way of connecting my computer to the PLC via Ethernet while staying connected to the internet via WiFI?

My problem is that as soon as I connect the ethernet cable to the Laptop, it drops my WiFi Signals, and I need to be able to stay connected to the internet because the OEM is doing remote troubleshooting using my laptop.

I tried connecting via USB in other PLC and it worked, however, the one that I'm trying to connect to doesn't have USB, it only has Ethernet port.

Thanks!

Yes, this can be done.

There is usually a setting that causes this behavior where your WiFi is disabled once it detects a wired connection. Sometimes it is in the BIOS sometimes it is done through Windows. It really depends on the device.

Can you tell us what model laptop and what operating system you are using?

This link shows how you can use the Windows settings to change this. But, not all devices will have the options they mention (mine doesn't). Oh, and they are trying to turn off Wifi where you are trying NOT to do that.

https://windowsloop.com/disable-wifi-when-connected-to-lan/

On my Dell laptop, I press F2 when powering on to enter the BIOS settings. From there, go to the Power Management section and look at the settings for Wireless Radio Control. Look for Control WLAN Radio and Control WWAN Radio and make sure the selection boxes are deselected.

But those setting can vary depending on the BIOS for the laptop. But most Dell's have a similar setting.

OG

Last edited:
Thanks, Operaghost. Since is a business laptop, they didn't want to mess up with those configurations.

Anyway, I got it to work. I used a Cradlepoint modem via ethernet/usb and then the PLC via ethernet. That way I can have two connections at the same time.

Thanks!

I know you solved it already.

But before you connect the ethernet cable between the PLC and the PC, configure the PC ethernet adapter (control panel => network => ...) to a fixed (static) IP address in the same network as the PLC, but different from the PLC IP address*, don't forget the netmask, and leave the gateway blank. Don't touch the WiFi adapter's configuration.

* and hopefully not in the WiFi network, otherwise it gets a little interesting.