rslogix 500 v8.2 upgrade

locotumbler

My company just got a 1 year service contract with Rockwell. I was told this was the only way to update my rslogix 500 from 8.2 to at least 9.0 so I can convert my node locked version to concurrent like my RSlogix 5000 is.

My question is this. How do I actually upgrade my license from v8.2 to v9.0 or higher?

Thank you.

I did a search on the knowledge base on the rockwell website and wasn't able to easily find what I was looking for.

Upgrading the version is done by downloading new software off the site.

As for changing the license type - best bet is to call them and have em walk you through that.

Customer pays for a year in order to download and a 5 minute call... damn we're in the wrong business :)

The license will work just fine for newer version. 500 isn't really update anymore except for compatibility issue anymore.

As for node locked vs concurrent. They no longer offer node-locked license and all licenses are concurrent AFAIK. I think simply by rehosting the license it will become concurrent but don't take my word for it. You can just call Rockwell on that and you do not even need support agreement to call them for licensing issue.

Version 9.0 does not need a license update. It will run on the EVRSI license. The first time you open it there will be a popup saying it noticed you are using EVRSI, just click OK and RSL will run after that.

If you update to version 9.05 or higher (up to 12) the license will have to be changed to a FactoryTalk Activation Manager license.

This is done by contacting Rockwell Tech Support and them walking through it with you.

For license support, I have had fantastic service from the Rockwell support Chat window. Last week I had to use that support for a customer who had a license dongle, and the little U$B thingy grew wings apparently. So until they decide if they want to buy a new dongle, we rehosted to their SCADA PC and I didn't know how to do that. It took the Chat tech support like 47 second to make that happen for us. I have had several customers who need to upgrade from EVRSI to FT activations and used the chat window to give them the serial numbers and they have always done that without complaint or delay. It has been a few years since I had to do that, but I suspect it is still readily available.

Version 9.0 does not need a license update. It will run on the EVRSI license. The first time you open it there will be a popup saying it noticed you are using EVRSI, just click OK and RSL will run after that.

If you update to version 9.05 or higher (up to 12) the license will have to be changed to a FactoryTalk Activation Manager license.

This is done by contacting Rockwell Tech Support and them walking through it with you.
Please pardon my ignorance here but what is EVRSI?

Upgrading the version is done by downloading new software off the site.

As for changing the license type - best bet is to call them and have em walk you through that.

Customer pays for a year in order to download and a 5 minute call... damn we're in the wrong business :)

When I go to download it the only version it allows me to download is 8.2.

Please pardon my ignorance here but what is EVRSI?

For your version you use EVMove or EVMoveW to move the license between drives. If you use EVMoveCF you can move it onto & off flash drives.

If you look at the root where the licenses are, with system files visible, there will be:

EVRSI.SYS
EVICOM.SYS
and, if it is a hard drive, 386SWAP.PAR.

RSLogix, RSLinx and others look at the licenses in the file EVRSI.SYS.

If you upgrade to RSL500 V9.05 or higher it will NOT look for these files, it will require the license to be converted, by Rockwell, to a FactoryTalk Activation Manager license.

Version 9.0 will still use these licenses. When you open it for the first time it will popup a window saying you are using an EVRSI license and future versions will require it updated.

8.2 might just be the limit on the free Micrologix software.
Might not find an updated download for that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but think it may have jumped from 8.0 to 8.4 with the paid version of RS500. Someone can fill in the blanks, but think 8.2 was the free version. I'm getting old. LOL

It might also be when they purchased RSL & got a 1 year TechConnect with the purchase that when it ran out ver8.2 was the current version, and their serial number is locked at ver 8.2 unless they subscribe to a current TechConnect contract.

I know one place I worked was limited to ver 9.0 while ver 12 was available to another company (that had a contract) that we dealt with.

Edit - as far as version older than 9.0 working with FTAM licenses it was available to do it, not sure how far back, but at 9.05 it was required.