1756-IF16 Analog 4-20 ma - using a Fluke 705 Loop Calibrator

Cydog

Good Evening ,

I’m getting ready to integrate a Mettler Toledo IND 570 into a ControlLogix PLC , Analog 4-20 ma input card 1756-IF16 . I’m trying to use a Fluke 705 Loop Calibrator to get my scale where I want it going into the 1756-IF16 , and it just stays at 10.36 .

On the calibrator I have the black lead on RTN ( 24 Vdc common ) and the Red lead going in on the analog input IN-11.

When nothing is connected in the input I get 12.5 .

What in the world am I doing wrong ? I don’t have any load cells hooked up
to the IND 570 yet . I just want my input to read 4 ma , 8 ma , 16 ma and 20 ma, from the calibrator . I got to be doing something wrong .

Thanks so much in advance ,

Thanks ,

In the office , I used a 1734-IE4C , and just used the black for the common and the red for Analog Input 0 , and it worked great . Looking in the manual
It seems using the Fluke 705 has a simulator you need a separate supply . Using source on the 1734-IE4C seems like the fluke provided its own power .

1756-IF16 in current mode requires jumper i-RTN to RTN.
If all channels are in current mode then you can simple jumper all terminals on the right side of RTB

Thanks so much for all your help.

So,with the 1756-IF16 ,the two RTN's ( on 9 and 27 )are
internally wired , so you just need to wire just one RTN ?

Then all the iRTN's are left independant , so you need to
apply the common to the only one that you are using 4-20 ma
for , correct ?

Thanks again for your help .

Yes, only one RTN is needed.
For every channel that is current, i-RTN must be connected to RTN, you can't leave them open.
I-RTN is just intenal 249 Ohm resistor that needs to be connected to make a loop.