Micrologix 1400 - constant socket terminations

gazroobari

Hi,

I have a driver which reads tags from SLC 500 & ML 1400 devices.

I've been asked to put the ML 1400 under load, not so much to assess speed but more to see how stable the comms is.

Accordingly, we've set up a host running my driver (basically, an embedded Java controller) talking across the local network to the ML 1400. The driver loops round, reading about 200 tags in the N7 integer data file.

Everything seems to start well. My driver counts and displays total read requests and I can see this figure going up at about 2000 tag reads per minute. No errors are seen.

Then, after maybe a range of 15 to 30 minutes, the driver starts to report that the socket between itself and the PLC has been terminated. In a sense, I 'm handling this and recovering: comms is re-established including management of session ids, forward open, connection ids, and so on, and the read requests appear to resume -- for a while.....

However, as time goes on, the comms stutters more and more, and by far the majority of the driver's time is spent recovering comms rather than reading tag values.

Is there any way of analysing why the socket might be going down, but why it can take upto half an hour of normal activity before this failure pattern starts to emerge ? I'm not suggesting my code is foolproof -- it probably isn't -- but just wondering how to narrow this problem down.

Any thoughts, clues, tips gratefully appreciated.

I think the 1400 has an embedded webpage that should give you some statistics and counters for troubleshooting, including number of connections. You also should snoop with Wire Shark and find any clues on why the connection fails. Especially if it’s a snowball effect, something should stick out.

We have used an interface to a cloud based SCADA and that company wrote their own Ethernet driver for Micrologix and Compactlogix PLCs. At one point in the development, they had a bug that caused the Micrologix PLC to create a new Ethernet/IP connection every few seconds...within a couple of minutes, the Channel Status showing up in RSLogix 500 said there were 70-ish Total Message Connections and comms went off the rails. The Maximum Connections Allowed in a 1400 is 32, although I have witnessed them working reasonably well with a higher total count than that.

What Maxkling is probably right, in that you don't have to have RSLogix software in order to view those Ethernet/IP Connections stats. They should be available in the Micrologix built in web page...just type in the IP address into your favorite browser on a PC connected to that same network.