Micro820 SD Card Program Download

mrxhale

Hello, My goal is to be able to email program updates to customers, then the customer copies the program onto an SD card and updates the PLC with it.

However, I don't understand how to get the correct project files to the customer once I no longer have access to the Micro820.

Here is what I have setup so far:
In my controller project, I have set the SD card to always load on power up.
DTpUtHp

vNl0CgT

https://imgur.com/a/vNl0CgT

With the SD card in the controller, I was able to make a backup of the current program on the SD card. The file structure looks like this:
4HuCr70

https://imgur.com/a/4HuCr70

And looking at the instructions, if I have an updated program and can generate the same project files, then I should be able to zip and send them to a customer, and they can put the project files in the 'USERPRJ' directory, and all should be well.
DTpUtHp

https://imgur.com/a/DTpUtHp

HOWEVER, the instructions only mention how to generate these project files using an 820 controller. In other words, it sounds as if I would need my own 820 controller, plug the SD card into it, generate the files using the backup feature, then send the files to the customer.

How can I generate the same project files without using the backup feature in the controller? Is it even possible?

Sorry for links instead of pictures, I couldn't get the formatting to work. Thanks in advance for any help.

mem_card.PNG prj_files.PNG email_sntruct.PNG

How can I generate the same project files without using the backup feature in the controller? Is it even possible?

I do believe you are correct in this statement! You will have to have an 820 on your end also to create the SD and then send the SD to your client.

Now there are several other ways for supporting a "far-away" client.

Have you looked into using a VPN, or something like the "e w o n", I have used both and each provides a great way to support.

With either of the above you would be able to "debug" in real-time because you can connect to plc just as if it's on the bench next to you!

Just some more Idea's.

Good Luck.

I may be able to help... David has a lot more experience with the 800 series then myself but I think you can do it with out the 820 with help

See attached file, this is a demo I load to my trainers that we build, first it flashes the CPU to V12 then is loads the program

One option.... Send me the program and I will load it to a Micro SD and then send it to them if I have all the I/O thats on your PLC, not every SD will work so I started selling a aftermarket one once I found a good reliable one

Here is more information on the SD and using it http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=110987

@damica1

I do believe you are correct in this statement! You will have to have an 820 on your end also to create the SD and then send the SD to your client.
Ah, ok then, thanks! If an update is needed in the future, I could have a tech on site download CCW and send them the whole CCW project file. Or we will find some other method...

Have you looked into using a VPN, or something like the "e w o n", I have used both and each provides a great way to support.
Yes! We actually use 'e w o n's quite frequently in our other panels, and have had great success with them. In this case, the project was very small and budget focused, so we chose to do without it. Oh well.

@geniusintraining
One option.... Send me the program and I will load it to a Micro SD
So it sounds like if I wanted to update the controller with an SD card, I would still need someone with a Micro820 to help. I very much appreciate the offer! For now I think we will make do with what we have, but I will keep the option in mind.

Thanks all for the replies!