Build me your ultimate work laptop

Whatever you buy, get an extra display, extra ram, extra fans, extra keyboard, extra graphics card, and after all the software is installed and working, one CLONED hard drive.

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#kf

Got this 18 months ago - been fantastic. All metal case - All day battery - Fitted 2x M.2 1TB drives and upgraded to 32gb ram - handles anything i throw at it. Plus a Num Pad. You don't pay the big name premium, can also game on it when away!
hmmm I was excited until I saw that it maxes out at 64GB of ram. I am looking to do 128GB. I have 32GB and when I run to VMs my system is at it's limit. I do not want to have this problem ever again LOL.

I am looking at a Think Pad P53 I can do 128GB with that and get a 6 Core i7. Graphics don't do me much good I haven't done any gaming in years.

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#kf

Got this 18 months ago - been fantastic. All metal case - All day battery - Fitted 2x M.2 1TB drives and upgraded to 32gb ram - handles anything i throw at it. Plus a Num Pad. You don't pay the big name premium, can also game on it when away!

Num pad sets your hands and body off center from the display I prefer laptops without it but otherwise looks solid

I think there are many opinions for ultimate.
I have a 2015 Mac Book Pro I5 with a 13 inch screen. It works fine for what I bought it for which is for sales mostly. It had to run all day one a single charge, be rugged, and light. However, I don't like programming on it unless I connect it to a 24 inch monitor. When programming it is important to see as much code as possible at once to minimize scrolling up and down. For programming I would want a 17 inch screen.

SSDs are a must now. I have two VMs on my Mac Book Pro.

One more thing. The new computers want to dongle you to death. My current Mac Book Pro has lots of ports. The new Mac Books do not.

Our newest maintenance laptops(Dell) have dual ethernet ports. Handy to keep one for the plant network, the other setup for local networks.

I am really liking having a Solid State drive as the main boot up drive.
Ok but everything but walmart specials have SSDs in them now.

SATA 3 SSDs are snail slow compared to NVMe M.2 drives. I have 2x 2TB Samsung 970 evo in my P15. Trying use a computer with just sata SSD is torturer.

HDD 100MB/s.
Sata SSD 500MB/s,
NVMe 2GB/s.

Define weak processors and give examples. I am skeptical.

I agree. I'm skeptical of all this state of the art, packed to the gills talk. I think, once you get over a 1000 for a machine within the last 5 years, the software we are running on them is more of the limitation than hardware. You're only going to get FTV Studio to load so fast...

Another factor is users plugging the machine up with a bunch of garbage software and services. Give someone the best hardware, they can bog it down with garbage software.

It seems to me that the main problem of Dell laptops is the use of weak processors

I just bought a Dell precision 3551 and opted for the I9-10885H processor. It has 8 cores, 16mb cache, and goes from 2.4Ghz up to 5.3Ghz. This is not a weak processor.
You get a weak processor if you opt for a weak processor.