Panelview Plus: Is a .mer file conversion good enough for making edits.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have the opportunity to do a start-up this Monday-Wednesday. They needed someone who could download a revised file on a ControlLogix and PV Plus. Then, they expect to do some edits to the HMI screens to add a few more on/off switches, etc. At this point, it looks pretty routine. But it's been a while since I've exercised my AB brain cells, so I'm reviewing this weekend. I'm noticing there are some questions I've had in the past that I've never really resolved. The first one has to do with converting the .mer file to the editable project file. They provided the .mer file to me, along with the PLC's .acd files (old and new). Last time I checked into this, the .mer file is probably OK to convert back and edit, but there were some possible issues with things like passwords. But that was a while back. What's the latest on this? If your customer sent you a .mer file, would you ask for the .apa, or just convert the .mer?

I believe, and don't take this to the bank, that what you are concerned about has been fixed in the newer versions of FTVS. I currently use V11 and have had no issues with converting .mer files into the FTVS DE and making changes. I THINK you are correct with there being issues in the past, I want to say pre V8.

Originally (v4 and lower), you could not restore the MER, the only way to archive a project was the APA. v5.0 and newer, MER's can be restored as long as the person compiling the MER left the default selection "Always allow conversion".

From v5.0 to around v7, the FactoryTalk Local Directory was not included in the MER, so depending on what you selected when restoring (to restore the local directory or not), you could lose things like user accounts and passwords.

Starting at v8, the local directory was included in the MER, so the option to restore the local directory or not went away. Now it just happens, so you don't lose the user accounts configured in the application.

That is at least how I understand it, I'm sure if I got something wrong there, someone will correct me.

Ok, that's very likely correct. Thanks! I love the opportunity to to grow, but it bothers me a little that they are under the gun to start up on Wednesday. There's going to be some pressure to deal with. I haven't even seen the jobsite so it's hard to predict what I don't know. You guys have saved my butt before... maybe keep an eye out for my posts. :)

Ok, that's very likely correct. Thanks! I love the opportunity to to grow, but it bothers me a little that they are under the gun to start up on Wednesday. There's going to be some pressure to deal with. I haven't even seen the jobsite so it's hard to predict what I don't know. You guys have saved my butt before... maybe keep an eye out for my posts. :)

If it’s me I’m restoring that .apa tonight and making sure everything checks out and you didn’t loose anything in the process. Then poke around the existing .acd and see how it’s all written in regards to the HMI so you can get a clear path as to exactly what you need to do to accomplish your task.

Yes, I had the .mer file since yesterday, so I converted that and have been poking around. I had to install v32 of Studio, which thankfully I can. I was using v30 when I purchased it for my last project. I've been pushing buttons and reviewing YouTube videos to get the cobwebs out.

One thing I really haven't spent much time on is Studio 5000 Logix Emulate. I equate Logix Emulate with beginner videos, not testing fully-developed applications. Do you guys ever use it to test interaction between PLC and HMI on fully-developed applications? I can't think through all of the pitfalls of trying it out.