Flip flop or toggle: a rehash

On rung 4 (the first rung with ladder logic), the coil is one-shot. Its easy to miss that hash mark inside the parentheses. The coil, and any NO or NC contacts with the same address (%M1) will be true for one program scan.

If the coil is not a one-shot, the output will cycle between on and off every program scan as long as the input remains true.

banghead
WHat a duh, in the process of redrawing and with my eyes the way they are now I did miss the ^ mark which indicates a positive transition coil, dont know why I can not relate this as a one shot, which is what it is.
bonkhead

%I %THINK %IT'S %ALL %THOSE %DAMNED %PERCENT %SYMBOLS %THAT %CAUSE %BLURRED %VISION!... :p

I guess % was as close as they could come to
ge.gif
in the character map?

beerchug

-Eric

Hate the % symbols. Do not particularly like X & Y or I & Q either. Even better how about having to fiddle with 3 registers per timer. How many are accidently overlapped and then you spend days trying to find out why the B***** timer will not work properly.
:confused:

I dont like X & Y for inputs and outputs;

Sometimes, if you are writing your I/O list by hand with a pen, a 'Y' can look very much like an 'X' (the way I write them anyway) and I have found that this can lead to mistakes when writing the symbol (comment) list from your piece of paper into the plc.

And I dont care much for I & Q either, they can look like 1's & 0's

Is there any PLC that has better unmistakable Input & Output letters?

BobB said:
...how about having to fiddle with 3 registers per timer. How many are accidently overlapped and then you spend days trying to find out why the B***** timer will not work properly

I'll admit, this has tripped me up once or twice (in other brands as well). What's more annoying is having to assign the registers in the first place. It's just a timer, so just give me a timer number!... :rolleyes:

To make life easier, I usually set aside 4 registers for each timer.
I have a hard time keeping track of "multiples of 3"... 🔨

beerchug

-Eric