AB PLC Micro Logic 1000

Jason H

I am looking at a plc upgrade of a pasta packaging machine that currently runs on 1980 card logic and have a quote that uses a AB Micrologic 1000. I would like some info on the following machine and its limitations. If anyone has experience in this style of work please let me know.

I am not sure if I am familiar with 1980 card logic, I dont have it now but cant say about past. What I do know is if you are UPGRADING and the Micrologix was suggested then the system doesnt have much demand but the Micrologix probably can provide FAR more features than what is needed to replace. It is also the lowest cost type of the AB brand plc's.

I cant see any way you could go wrong using a Micrologix if it will fit into the system.

Be prepared to pay heavily for the software though, the retail for RSLogix500 (which programs both SLC and Micrologix) is $1100 US. This price does not include the cable needed.

Regarding the starter pack it is a good suggestion. However, you cannot substitute the controller in this package so you must make sure the voltage requirements match your needs. If all you are ever going to program is a micrologix there is no need to purchase the $1100.00 9324-RL0300ENE software package. There is a starter edition 9324-RL0100ENE for $499.00. The part numbers listed are of course English versions, other languages are available.

Hang on a second, guys. Before we go sell him the Starter Kit (or someone suggests an alternative brand), it sounds o me like he currently has a quote from an Integrator or OEM for the retrofit, and is asking about the feasability of it.

The short answer is, if it's got existing controls, retrofitting is do-able. I've done many retrofits, and usually the biggest problem is the cutover. The machine is currently in production. 24/7? There is a window of opportunity (during a normal plant shutdown, often between Christmas and New Years), but typically 24-36 ours wide, where you have to come in (with a team), cut the wires to the old system, wire in the new, test the I/O, and be back in full production before the end of the window.

Good Coffee is important during these fire-drills.

The fact that it's a Micrologix going in, means that there;s not much I/O. That's helpful. I'm assuming that the Integrator/OEM knows how big the window is.

The key to doing it successfully is TESTING. Since there won't be a real machine to test with, they will have to write code to simulate on. It helps if theres an HMI/SCADA associated with this, so you can "SEE" that the valve that is supposed to open, "actually" does (you can always go by the PLC's LED, but that's tougher).

If there's no HMI, I suggest that Jason insist that the vendor build something reprentative of the machine (I'm remember a post on the old forum, by Goody I think, where that was done, using stuff from around the house.). It doesn't have to pretty, it just has to allow Jason to KNOW that the new system works, before any wire is cut.

Second, project management on both sides is important. Particularly schedule. The FAT should be WEEKS before the installation, not days. Schedules slip. Code is buggy. It has to be 100% done and right prior to installation, or the chance of success drops precipitously.

As for the PLC itself - presumably the vendor knows how much I/O the spaghetti packer machine has, and has sized the PLC accordingly. So it's the right size for the job that is to be asked of it. Will you, tomorrow, ask it to do more? Decide today, because there are limitatins to the amount of I/O it can handle.

Just one note

Just remember that there are no online edits with the micrologix line. This can be very frustrating during the debugging stage... Just a thought.

Online Editing

You can change N values online though.
I haven't done any online editing but it sounds like it'll be fast & fun in the sun.

editing...

Yea, I found the no edits out a hard way... A customer had me do a new prototype machine, with the ML line. Not having edits probally cost me an entire weeks worth of labor on that one. Since it was a prototype, they kept adding, modifying, and deleting functions. I personally suggest to customers to avoid them like the plauge unless the machine is already a well developed process.

Please, help us for solving our problem.

Hi, Dear Mr. ….
Please, help us for solving our problem.
We have an automation system which was used in starting sequence two pump with initialize conditions.
In this system, it was used Allen-Bradley PLC, Micro Logic 1000 with 19 DI/11 DO.
The PLC's program is not accessible because we have not
1-special PG
and
2- Its special connection cable.
How do we prepare two a.m. items?
May PLC program was Locked by the installer/manufacturer company ?
Thanks for attention.
Kind regards
Mortazavi
SANAT TOUSE EH COMPANY

I would suggest taking a hard look at the ML1200 instead of the ML1000. The 1200 does not have the data file and program file limitiations that the ML1000 has, its IO is expandable, and its extra cost is neglible.