Uticor Touch Screens

SAK-CO TECH

Hi All,

I have recentley looked into the Uticor line of touch screens. I have begun to play with thier software (They sent me a free sample) and it looks to be like pretty good stuff. Thier software is called Power Panel.

The question is, has anybody used these touch screens in the "field" and if so, how do you rate them?

Any response would be appreciated.
Chris

Uticor

I just finished replacing two Uticors with two Panelviews, if that tells you anything. The Uticors have only been in the field for about two years (from the OEM, not us) and the line hasn't been fully operational, but the customer was complaining that the touch cells were already getting hard to activate.

He doesn't want them anywhere in his plant, so my basement may get them. Then I'll be able to tell you more (when I have time to play).

I wasn't that impressed with the programming software (µWin), but I had used it mostly to reverse engineer the existing system, rather than creating a design of my own. I suppose it says something that I didn't have any training on it - just ran it and used it.

But that's me. Only you can tell if this or any HMI best meets your needs in terms of cost, usablity, and features.

Thanks

Allen,

I appreciate the post. Like you say, they are fairly new. Uticor has been after me for a while to try thier line of screens out. I was possibly considering this for a project I have comming up way down deep in Mexico. This does not sound like the proper application to give this screen a try, plane tickets get expensive for unscheduled trips!

Thanks for the feedback,
Chris

Have you thought about the RED-LION touch screens
I'm using 2 as HMI on our singlefacers (Corrugated Cartons)
They seem to work well. Are relatively easy to program and update and you get free software with each one.
:D

My site is mostly AB panelviews but we have a couple of Unticors that talk directly to our DCS system. Im unsure of their programming because since 1998 we have never had to change them. Had to chnage heaps of PV600 because of how harsh the operators treat them, but the touch screens on the Uticors still going strong.

Thanks Again

TimeF,

Thanks for the post. After Allen's first post I decided to check Uticor's warranty, they offer a 3 year warranty on thier screens which is definetly better than most. I personally have used Panelview's and Panelmates for the most part (some quickpanel which are more expensive than AB) and have been looking for a comparable touch screen.

After some time playing with the software (PowerPanel) for the Uticor line, it seems to be as good as the rest. What I like best is that they now offer a flat 15" (good as you know for those busy screens) for the same cost as a typical "Big Boy" 10-12". That coupled with the 3 year warranty and your post, I'm beggining to reconsider this.

Thanks again,
Chris ;)

Chris, if you do go with the Uticor, post how you went, Im curious to find out how easy they are to program. We dont have a spare in store so I cant play with one myself.