video or tours

plcnewbie

Hey guys as I mentioned before I am still in school. Well we have a desire to go on plant tours but nobody wants to give them. We are an affiliate of a good school (Penn State). We even started an ISA chapter but I dont think they can help. If anyone has any videos of cool stuff or can hook up a tour for us in Pennsylvania that would be sweet. We are central PA but could easily travel a few hours for the tour.
Thanks all. Regards,Bryan

Tours are fun. Used to be (specialy in the 70's and early 80's) easy to come by.

I got several just for the asking. Many were offered if I happened to be in the neighborhood anytime.

As downsizing became more prevelant, tours of groups diminished, along with the one-on-ones.

Ten years ago, you usually got a tour with an interview. Lately, once in a while, only to see if they can scare you off or are really interested.

Some places don't even give you a tour when you start, just walk around till you fnd what you are looking for.

One idea is to contact some of the plc manufacturers reps or distributors to see if they have any contacts in plants that you may use.

best regards.....casey

Which campus are you studying at? I've put some instructors in touch with operators at WWTPs that have our control systems and they were able to arrange tours.

I have two systems in Williamsport, a small one at the Central wastewater treatment plant running a single blower, and a large system at the West plant. I've also got installations in Lewisburg and Mountaintop PA that might be of interest, especially Mountaintop.

I don't want to post the contact info publicly, but I'll PM you with it.

What a nice web site.

Factory tour USA.

Wow, you Americans can sometime really do a good job.

I wish we had that in Canada.

Specially when I was in school. But then again, Internet did not exist then :(

There is a place call Intercourse in PA?

I'd go for that tour :)

Herrs.

It's a bit out of your way, but the Herr's Potato Chip Factory, on the PA/MA/DE border has public tours. http://www.herrs.com/tour/tour.htm

I've never been to them, but they're popular with the local school kids (you may want to see if you can arrange for them to open their control cabinets for your group).

And, yes, your route could take you through Intercourse (Personally, I usually stop at Gap, which is near Intercourse. Who says the Amish are prudes?)