soMachine 4.3 comm ATV320

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am using soMachine 4.3 with a M241 commanding an ATV320 by EthernetIP. We have the comm working fine, and using the GIATV.Control_ATV function block, we are starting and stopping the drive fine. I have the functions I need, except I was looking for feedback for when the drive faulted. I added some registers under the I/O scanner, but was having trouble finding the right one to whether or not there was a fault. Any advice on the best way to do this?

I don't know that this will help as I am not familiar with either, however I work with the Atv600 and 900 series drives.

We read the LFT word at address 7121 this will read a code such as 126 which would then equal "Dry Run Error". What we do is create an array of about 200 (Thats about how many error codes) an each number will list the exact error.

So we read the word at 7121 if it is 126 we then display the 126th array which holds "Dry Run Error".

I can provide the communication parameter for the 600/900 drive I may also have the 320 I will have to look.

I have not worked with the 600/900 drives, but they must be similar to the 320. I looked over the registry of words and it seemed like the LFT address 7121 made the most sense. But I wasn't sure if that was right, because it returned a 7, and I wasn't sure what to do with that 7. Can you provide the array that you would use?

Another question on this project.......I have the comm all up and working. I have used the LFT 7121 word for fault status. We have three drives here side by side and two of them are working fine. But the 3rd one, always returns the fault status as 7. I cannot get it to reset to 0. The drive does not display any fault on the screen. It shows rdy. I can reset faults and have control of the drive from the plc, so I know that it is communicating. Just not sure how to get the 7 to go away.

Is the 7 coming from reading the address 7121 of that drive, because you have to remember LFT means the Last Fault Detected, once the fault has been cleared 7121 should show 0=No Errors.

I'm also assuming that if the drive in question always shows 7 in the LFT then maybe there is a problem with the communication setup.

So you are able to clear the fault be it goes back to 7? If this is the case I would say you still have a communication problem

Its reads 7 whether the drive screen shows a fault or not. It would make sense if the drive would be tripped out and the screen would be flashing a fault code. But it says 7 even if the drive is sitting there and the drive says rdy.

I have not been able to find a problem with the communication setup. I will check some more. I can fully control the drive.

It could be a faulty remote keypad, swap the keypads with a working unit and see what happens.

If the keypad is faulty you will get a 7 error.

I am using soMachine 4.3 with a M241 commanding an ATV320 by EthernetIP. We have the comm working fine, and using the GIATV.Control_ATV function block, we are starting and stopping the drive fine. I have the functions I need, except I was looking for feedback for when the drive faulted. I added some registers under the I/O scanner, but was having trouble finding the right one to whether or not there was a fault. Any advice on the best way to do this?

You are talking EtherNet between M241 and ATV320, but want to use Modbus IOScanner to feedback drive status. The EtherNet comm on M241 can be set in two options (based on SoMM 4.1), EtherNet IP slave or Modbus TCP IP slave.
Modbus IOscanner over serial RS485 is a comm parallel to the EtherNet comm in M241. So the PLC will not read any drive status since its talking Ethernet with the drive. To accomplish what you are trying to do, you can either talk modbus and use the IOScanner capability or stay with EtherNet, but use the drive state of machine to read the drive status, this will require more programming. Hope this helps.

Not sure if i fully understand you. I am using the EthernetIP protocol not modbus.

I am using SoMM 4.1, don't know if Schneider has updated IOscanner capabilities. As far as I know EtherNet does not have IOScanner capabilities. But Modbus and Modbus TCP do.

So if you are talking EtherNet, but set up IOScanner to read data from the drive status, it will not be communicated to the PLC. EtherNet and Modbus/Modbus TCP have different communication layers. You have to decide whether you want to use modbus/modbus TCP and utilized IOScanner potentials or Ethernet and use drive state of machine, create a program to read drive states over Ethernet. Check IOScanner in SoMachine help, you will see that it is associated to Modbus and Modbus TCP.

You can also call 1-888-SQURED and ask for help. I use to work as Application Controls Engineer for Schneider, but no more.

Last edited:
I am pretty new to this software and still learning about this communication.......i may have used the term IO Scanner incorrectly. I do not think that I am using the IO Scanner. I am using the GIATV.Control_ATV function block. The IO registers I was referring to were within the configuration of the drive....see attached pciture.

atv320.PNG

I would appreciate your input on this. As I have been trying to get a better grasp of how IO Scanner works.

I still have SoMachine 4.1. It looks like since when I left Schneider much with the software has changed. If you set IOScanner from your PLC network in SoMachine, that will be more doable. I think in your case the drive is the slave, and you are setting up the IOScanner in slave. Set the IOScanner in the PLC network in SoMM and make the PLC master, this way it can read the drive parameter status. Call Schneider tech support (1-888-SQUARED) to speak with Radu, or Peter if they still work for the company. They will help you.