Optimizing drive systems for energy savings - Siemens

naeem918

Dears
i need help to Optimizing drive systems for energy savings
how can i decrease torque in order to decrease current?
i have 6RA7075 simo-reg drive
any help

If you do that you will decrease acceleration. That might cost more in lost production than what is saved in electricity.
Thanks for your reply m i need to try changing in torque and i will follow up acceleration, as it is not important in our production,What is the main parameters that effect in energy consumption?

Energy consumed in a task is a combination of work performed and losses incurred as a result of that work being performed. You cannot save energy on the work performed, the only thing you can do is to reduce losses. Torque is not a loss, it is the work performed. Find losses if you want to reduce energy consumption.

By accurately tuning the drive to the motor and using the most intelligent control method, the energy losses should be optimized.

Many drives have a 'continuous auto-tune' for light duty applications such as fans and pumps, which work on the premise of lowering motor voltage until the current is reduced when the load is constant. When the load changes, the output returns to the motor map settings and then begins auto-tuning again when the load becomes constant.

Do not use this function for heavy-duty applications, use a vector control method instead.

I think another way to save energy is to de-power the drive when it is unused. This may require holding brakes, depending on the application. Many drives have an internal way to do this (profi-energy, etc), so that you don't have to literally cut the power to the drive.

I've never dived too deeply into this, because energy is generally cheap in the US, and the cost/benefit ratio often isn't there.

Reducing the torque in many cases is not an option because if the load needs X torque to move if it is applied X/2 it simply will stop working.

It is not the VFD configuration that defines the torque to be applied, it is the load characteristics.

The only time that the VFD could limit the torque would be in acceleration phases, but if these phases are few and with short duration the energy saving will be negligible.

Power = Torque x RPM, the way that will reduce reduce energy consumption for sure is to reduce the speed.

Last edited:
It might help if you identified the driven machine and the duty cycle. As others have pointed out it is the load that determines the work and total energy, but sometimes there are ways to reduce the cost of the energy without changing the total used.