Exporting/Importing/Transferring Wonderware application

phuz

I developed an InTouch application in 10.1 in a virtual machine.
I developed all the Windows to be 1024x768 for the touch panel it will be used on, but the overall resolution of the VM was 1920x984, so naturally that's what Wonderware saw. When I go to bring the application into the 2014R2 (11.1) version of InTouch, it prompts for the option to convert the resolution, and even though I hit no, it does anyway, and shrinks all the graphics. I tried exporting just the windows from the 10.1 app, but 11.1 will not import them because of the version difference.

I thought by hitting "NO" to converting the size, it should leave the graphics alone. Anyone have another idea?

Add a line in Intouch.ini in your project called "ScaleForResolution=false" and then try opening it. This time it should ask you if it should resize the app WITHOUT scaling graphics and you say Yes.

Don't forget to set your VM for 1024x768 next time...

No way! Just keep that ScaleForResolution=0 in there permanently and leave your VM at whatever makes the most sense.

Intouch really is goofy when it comes to scaling and resolution issues. Advice to anyone out there who wants to scale the graphics/text up or down using that dialog that pops up when you first open it - don't, especially if you're moving from a 4:3 to a 16:9 ratio. The only time I've ever seen it work was for a really old application with nothing but text and some circles as indicators and even then it looked a little goofy with giant text and alignments out of whack. Either set the new computer's resolution to the same as the original app or use the "ScaleForResolution=0" trick above to go into Windowmaker and resize all the windows manually, re-arraigning the objects as needed.

The problem is if the app on the WonderWare pc is on 1024x768 and you develop in VM using a different resolution....The WW pc cannot open without converting app to back 1024x768.
When move the app to the WW pc you need a development license to change back to 1024x768. This can be avoided but you have to reset your resolution to 1024x768 and convert the app back before moving to the WW pc..

Last edited:
No way! Just keep that ScaleForResolution=0 in there permanently and leave your VM at whatever makes the most sense.

Intouch really is goofy when it comes to scaling and resolution issues. Advice to anyone out there who wants to scale the graphics/text up or down using that dialog that pops up when you first open it - don't, especially if you're moving from a 4:3 to a 16:9 ratio. The only time I've ever seen it work was for a really old application with nothing but text and some circles as indicators and even then it looked a little goofy with giant text and alignments out of whack. Either set the new computer's resolution to the same as the original app or use the "ScaleForResolution=0" trick above to go into Windowmaker and resize all the windows manually, re-arraigning the objects as needed.

InTouch uses pixel base graphics and does a terrible job of scaling to a new resolution. Turning off scaling via the InTouch.ini file will simply result in the original graphics being pasted into a different sized window, which isn't really a good solution either. It is important to develop the graphics in the correct resolution to begin with. If you are forced to convert an application to a new resolution, you can only make it look as good as the original by redrawing all of the graphics.

Yes...even if you use ScaleForResolution=0..this is great for working in the Intouch apps original resolution and not screwing up the graphics or text in the windows...however when saved...the Intouch app is still saved in the development pc resolution. So there are some issues.
I use ScaleforResolution=0 ...BUT...there are some steps required for moving the app from my development pc to the pc running the app.

For example...
APP pc is 1024x768
My PC is 1920x1080

When I open the app to develop on my pc it still converts the windows but does not change the resolution or graphics in the windows. Great...
However.... the WW app has STILL been converted to 1920x1080 it just has windows/graphics sized to 1024x768!

Now when you want to move the app to a pc that is 1024x768 it will need to be converted from 1920x1080 back to 1024x768. No damage to the windows and graphics will take place, but you do need to convert back....requiring a development license.

You have 2 choices to this.
If I am sending the app to the customer to install...
I change my pc from 1920x1080 to 1024x768 and open the app again to convert from 1920x1080 back to 1024x768. (This is why it may be easier to have a VM sized to 1024x768 for WW development.)

If I am on site...
I install my development license on the pc on the equipment and open the app and convert from 1920x1080 back to 1024x768.....or if not a lot of work required, I just edit on equipment pc and move a copy to USB drive to transport back to my pc.

Last edited: