Transfer Program from Siemens PLC to SD Card

zacslade

Hi All,

I have a client with a virtualized engineering workstation on HyperV, with TIA Portal Step 7 Basic Version 14 installed. They wish to be able to program a number of Siemens Simatic S7-1200 PLCs from this workstation, and they want to be able to keep their code on Siemens SD cards in order to enjoy whatever benefits SD cards give (for easy PLC replacement, etc.)

The Engineering VM does not have access to the USB ports on their server, because that's a limitation of Hyper V, and for some reason the server host OS isn't even recognizing things that are plugged into its USB ports -- so I'd like to avoid using troubleshooting their Hyper V server or using any Hyper V workarounds if I can help it.

The other option I want to explore is remotely programming the SD cards. Can I plug the SD card into the PLC and program it using the Engineering VM? Or, is there a way to program the PLC and then (one-time-only) transfer the code from the PLC to the SD card?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Before I saw anything else: WARNING! Never insert or remove an SD card from a powered on PLC.

When you download to the 1200, it uses the SD card as load memory, if one is present. When you download to the PLC, it stores the project on the SD card instead of the internal load memory. In theory, you could put an SD card n, download, remove, put new SD card in, download again, etc.

If the PLC already has a project, and you insert a black card, I'm not sure what would happen. I don't think there is a command to directly copy from the PLC to the SD card, but it might do it automatically? Or it might wait for the next download.

..Or it might clear the PLC. ADVENTURE!

Thanks mk42!

Is there any configuration I need to set in order to affect the SD card when I download to the PLC? Or does it do that automatically if there was an SD card in the PLC when it booted?

Thanks mk42!

Is there any configuration I need to set in order to affect the SD card when I download to the PLC? Or does it do that automatically if there was an SD card in the PLC when it booted?

I think it automatically uses the SD card if it is present. I've never seen a setting for it.