FTVS-ME Parameter Learning

bright676

I have come to the point where I am needing to learn how to use parameters and make them.

I have many programs with them in it that I can use for reference but I don't understand them.

The Rockwell instructions are at the very least undesirable. I did the you tube search but I didn't see any, Can some one point me in to some videos to help me out? Thanks

I have found it very helpful to study the work of other programmers. That combined with the sample projects on FTV.ME/SE like "Instant Fizz" are the best examples you will likely find. I to struggled with this when I wanted to learn it but as far as training goes, it doesn't seem to exist for some of the
"power points" of programming. This stuff can be learned in a general 3-4 day course with Rockwell or one of the other training outfits out there, however, most of them simply touch base on parameter files, parameter list and global objects. Simply making you aware they exist and get you to do one quick exercise with it, not enough to make you understand at all. Simply doing your own self study will likely be your best avenue for this.
I am luck enough to have a full PAC and HMI system on my desk and therefore have the opportunity to try, try and try again until I do get it. Now I can put those skills to use in the industry setting.
Let us know if you do find any valuable training resources!

Thanks

I do have complete access to all the FTVS and SLC-500 programs in my plant, but as far as "try, try and try again" I wont do that as I feel I could screw up some programs. I guess that is why they gave me permission, they trust me not to "try, try and try again" as it is to dangerous/stupid.

I can see many parameter files but would like to understand them.

I have been to one of Rockwell's classes for a week for SLC-500 and it did help for what it was worth.

Parameter files are a way to show the same thing for multiple objects using only one screen. If I have 10 motors and I want to show 2 characteristics of each motor. I can build one screen and load the parameter for each motor when selected. Your Tag Connection on the screen objects will be {#1} and {#2}. They will then be replaced with the tag in your parameter file.

The parameter file for Motor 1 would have:

#1={Motor1_AMPS}
#2={Motor1_TEMPERATURE}

The parameter file for Motor 2 would have:

#1={Motor2_AMPS}
#2={Motor2_TEMPERATURE}

You would do this for all 10 motors.

when you setup you Goto Display Button or your Display List Selector you can pick which parameter file to load when you open your motor view screen. You always open the same screen you just load a different parameter file to change the values shown.

"Try, try and try again" of course on the test bench! No consequence there.

I don't suggest you modify anything your not comfortable with.

Parameter files are a way to show the same thing for multiple objects using only one screen. If I have 10 motors and I want to show 2 characteristics of each motor. I can build one screen and load the parameter for each motor when selected. Your Tag Connection on the screen objects will be {#1} and {#2}. They will then be replaced with the tag in your parameter file.

The parameter file for Motor 1 would have:

#1={Motor1_AMPS}
#2={Motor1_TEMPERATURE}

The parameter file for Motor 2 would have:

#1={Motor2_AMPS}
#2={Motor2_TEMPERATURE}

You would do this for all 10 motors.

when you setup you Goto Display Button or your Display List Selector you can pick which parameter file to load when you open your motor view screen. You always open the same screen you just load a different parameter file to change the values shown.

Don't forget the [shortcut] to the processor

+1 on PLC Pie Guy comment. Try to find a PLC and HMI to make test area. It gives you hands on experience without any risk.

MATT116 Also +1 on direct address to PLC.

#1={[Shortcut]PLC tag address} is direct to PLC

#1={Motor1_AMPS} is a tag created in the Main folder of the tag database In FTVME

#1={MySubfolder\Motor1_AMPS} is an example of a tag in a Sub Folder created In the tag database in FTVME

One other thing you can double click in the parameter file and it will open the database and you can pick your tag and it will format it for you.

Last edited:
FYI: avoid using/learning about Global Objects with parameters for now.
It will just mess you up.

After you are comfortable with parameters on a display, then try learning about Global Objects with parameters.