Connecting to M238 via ethernet... anyone done this?

aqueousdan

I have a Schneider M238 PLC and can connect to it fine via USB and program it using Somachine. I now want to connect using ethernet to be able to eventually use the MODBUS features of the PLC.

Has anyone done this and can shed some light on how they did it? I cannot see how to do this anywhere!

(currently when I connect an ethernet cable between my M238 and my computer there is no activity whatsoever)

RJ45 connector marked SL1 (with model TM238LDD24DT or TM238LDA24DR) or 2 RJ 45 connectors (with model TM238LFDC24DT•• or TM238LFAC24DR••) marked SL1 and SL2 for connecting serial links.

Thank you for your reply but I'm not sure how that helps.

I have the TM238LFDC24DT model with 2 RJ45 connections but as I said if I plug an Ethernet cable into the plc and into my computer I don't see any link status or anything at all.

If you're connecting directly without a switch and dhcp server, you'll need to manually configure a static IP on both the PLC and your computer, as well as the subnet and mask. You'll also likely need a crossover ethernet cable (unless your computer has a gigabit port, at which point it should be auto MDX)

You'll also need to disable the wireless adapter on your computer if it has one.

If you can get them both on the same network that has a DHCP server, you'll have a much easier go at this. You'll still have to configure the PLC to get its IP from the DHCP server if it's isn't configured as such by default. I have zero experience with Schneider, so I'm not sure how they're configured on the network side out of the box.

I have setup up an M258 in the same software on my same computer and it works fine. I'm able to monitor inputs and outputs in ignition scada on that plc also. I'm using a network switch.

The problem comes when I try and process the communication settings. In the same part of somachine that I would set the IP address on the M258, I can't access on the M238 because I get an error that the plc won't respond. (Even though I can download programs etc)

If I am not mistaken, M238 does not have a builtin Ethernet port. I think I saw in its manual it is mentioned that you need to use this: 499TWD01100 Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP gateway. Be careful with this gateway the PLC can only operate as Modbus TCP (Slave). Please double check with the manual as its been a while I used a M238.

If I am not mistaken, M238 does not have a builtin Ethernet port. I think I saw in its manual it is mentioned that you need to use this: 499TWD01100 Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP gateway. Be careful with this gateway the PLC can only operate as Modbus TCP (Slave). Please double check with the manual as its been a while I used a M238.

Yes, it´s right! M238 doesn´t have ethernet port. The 499TWD01100 is just a gateway and you can´t download or monitor the application using it.

I suggest you try to use the M241, it´s almost same price that M238 and it has builtin Ethernet port, that you can use to HMI, download, monitor, etc...

Just remind: You need SoMachine 4.1 to use M241!

Hi,

The replies from the others are correct about the lack of built in Ethernet port in an M238 and to be cautious about using the gateway.

The best option is to upgrade to an M241 PLC. It is much faster than an M238 and has a built in Ethernet port option if you select an M241 with Ethernet port.

Thanks.