HMI Remote Access Redlion G315

Sombrero

Hello guys,

My question is, is it possible to access my HMI's interface from a PC from anywhere in the world? What I know it works, is the Web Server functionality, but I only tested this through an Ethernet cable directly connected to the HMI. With this I accessed the HMI's interface through the web browser and the IP Address of the HMI.

My HMI is a G315 Redlion.

What I want to do now is to access it from anywhere, for example: a PC or laptop from home. If this is possible, how and what do I need to make it work?

Any link or support will be greately appreciated. :geek:

Last edited:
You could expose the HMI to the world by setting up internet connectivity with a fixed IP address, but that is risky.

I recently had to do this for a customer and settled on using a device made by e_won. A cosy 131. Once I got it set up and working, it allows me to securely access the PLC and HMI at a remote location. It is somewhat expensive and there are cheaper options, but it is trusted by a lot of automation folks, and is secure.

You could expose the HMI to the world by setting up internet connectivity with a fixed IP address, but that is risky.

I recently had to do this for a customer and settled on using a device made by e_won. A cosy 131. Once I got it set up and working, it allows me to securely access the PLC and HMI at a remote location. It is somewhat expensive and there are cheaper options, but it is trusted by a lot of automation folks, and is secure.

So, with only the fixed IP Address I can access it from anywhere? How or what exactly would I need to type into the web browser to see the HMI? What should I enable in Crimson for that? (beside Web Server, of course) And, wouldnt the security features of the G315 help restrict the access to unwanted users?

So, with only the fixed IP Address I can access it from anywhere? How or what exactly would I need to type into the web browser to see the HMI? What should I enable in Crimson for that? (beside Web Server, of course) And, wouldnt the security features of the G315 help restrict the access to unwanted users?

Yes, you could use the fixed IP address obtained from the ISP and set the G315 ethernet address to that value. But will that break any other communication you have there?

As for security, I guess you could use the IP filtering built into the Web Server of the HMI as well as security features you have applied to the application (tags, controls, etc.). But if you use the IP filtering, then you'll need to know the IP address(es) you want to allow in. That is a feature I believe they intended for use on a LAN, not the WWW.

At the very least, you should have a router capable of NAT and VPN tunnel in my opinion, and I am not by any means an expert at this sort of thing. I expect others on the forum to pitch in with their comments and better expertise in this area.

I know nothing about the "Redlion" but I do use VPN tunnels daily. I have several HMI/PLC's combinations all over the tri-state area and we use a VPN tunnel to access either the HMI and/or PLC for downloading/uploading new software, debugging, it's just as if the unit was sitting next to you on your desk.

Very SECURE, we use double layer of encryption, and double layer of authentication.

We use VPN Tunnels for CIPS MESSAGING we have PLC's controlling other PLC's miles apart, all without "Radio's".

VPN is the way to go!!