Insight 7050, Insight Explorer 5.1

Tharon

I recently ran into a bug in one of my PLC programs due to me inadvertently making an assumption that my Cognex camera (Insight 7050) inspection time would never be an issue. Turns out I was wrong. I had gone in and done some fancy image filtering and displays to make an HMI image look real nice and informative for the operator. This added enough time to the image processing that it exposed the bug in my PLC program.

Is there any place in the Insight Explorer to see total evaluation time of the camera program from trigger to inspection complete? I looked around in the sensor settings but couldn't find anything. And, is there a way to have this time be placed as in a Cell in the camera program?

I thought maybe I could use one of the Get Time variables in the very first executed and very last executed, and do some math to find overall duration, but before I started doing that I figured I'd ask around to see if there was something already existing.

Thanks.

Its been to long for me to say.

what you can do is in the plc program, start a timer with as small a time base as you have when you trigger the camera. Move the accumulated time to a register.
stop the process when the timer when the camera replies with a pass or fail.
give the process 1/4 to 1/2 second more in the plc process before making the plc decision.

regards,
james

I don't do too much spreadsheet, but in easybuilder each tool will show the time it takes to process at the bottom of the Results tab. I've used that to troubleshoot bugs like you're encountering and also to verify my various tools aren't hogging up too much time.

I poked around in spreadsheet - looks like there's some execution times that get formatted to cells in the format Tool.Execution_Time. Granted I just converted an easybuilder project to spreadsheet, but the tag format should be valid for any tool you're using.