Powerflex70 series A test bench

Compass

Hi,
We have a Allen Bradley, Powerflex70 series A drive. We would like to use it as a test bench and programming station for communication modules. (At least until we need to replace a drive somewhere).

It's a 600 Volt drive. My boss asked me to find out if it can use lower voltage for purely programming applications.

This is one of those tricky problems where if it can the manual would probably brag about it, but if it can't then I just won't find mention anywhere and be left wondering and uncertain.

Could somebody please just tell me yes or no, and maybe point to a reference.

Most drives can power up on lower voltages/single phases, look for a "derating" in the manual. This will indicate that if you use a lower voltage, the drive HP rating drops by a certain amount. Since you just want to power up the control it really doesn't matter.

I've used a 120V --> 220VAC/480 xformer and powered up drives for testing.

That drive powers its PC boards direct from the DC bus, so the input voltage must be at the stated minimum supply, otherwise the drive shuts itself down. For a 600V drive, I believe that MINIMUM is something around 375VAC. It's in the manual.

Just checked, it's 345VAC.

Last edited: